TSC Duckling Identification

Updated :)

Please ignore the dirty I sent them outside right after so I could clean it!

UPDATE on the thread starter TSC ducklings.

They are growing like weeds. Yep, weeds. So now they have weed names: Mustard and Dandelion.

Mustard grows wild and is spicy, with black seeds. Mustard is wild, has a spicy personality and black feet.

Dandelion is a pretty, carefree flower with light colored seeds. Dandelion is a carefree duckling with white feet.

I believe I have identified their breed. They are Golden 300 drakes. Because with the Golden 300, "golden" means brown and only the brown ones are females. All the black ones are boys. So since these are black (with other colors), they are boys. They are mixed breed ducks, not a specific breed (yep, like I said, weeds). So no telling what color they will be.

I'm sort of glad they are boys, because they sure make a lot of noise! If they were girls, the neighbors would surely complain.

Last edited:

Whatever they are, they are large and getting larger fast. Weights were 72 & 78 grams day 1, 92g and 108g day 2, and both at 145 g day 3. Compared to the Indian Runner ducklings, they are more timid and scared.

Does anyone know what jumped into my cart? Appleyard or appleyard mix? Muscovy? Something else?[/QUOTE]
I had a sick Indian Runner duckling (not contagious), so I had to go to TSC for medicine. Here is my sick duckling:

At TSC, I heard cheeping and saw ducklings. One especially made me think of an Appleyard, though the color wasn't quite right. And they also looked a bit like my duckling. I asked what breed these were, but the answer, typically, was "I don't know." Of course, this cutie and a friend jumped right into my cart. I finally got them to leave the cart... when I arrived at my car.

The head has an "appleyard" marking and the tail is black. The yellow part isn't a "clean" yellow. It is a yellow brushed over with faint black. The strangest part is that there is also black UNDER the yellow. In fact, each featherlet is black at the bottom, yellow in the upper part, but the very tips are black again. The tail is dark. The foot has white on it, and the ends of the wings are white. The upper bill has a black stripe over pink and the lower bill is pink.

Did you ever find out what these babies are? Ours from TSC look very similar and i just don't want to wait for feathers to come in to find oit

Here's my yellow ones I thought were Pekins but on my other post someone said probably not.

I also have these possible runners? I think the fawn and white one is but not sure about the brown mallard color ones. Also do the mallard color ones look female in color or too early to tell still?
The top yellow ones definitely look like muscovy babies to me, especially with that longer bum. So cute!!!

Picked up these two beauties at the Tractor Supply last weekend in their “mixed” bin! We are thinking they are Swedish ducks based on their colors! They mostly had Pekins and what I believe to be either Mallard or Muscovy but these two were different. We already have a Pekin and I am currently incubating Khakis so we decided to get these two as well! I am so excited to see how they turn out! We have named them Oli and Pato! Yup, you guessed it, this duck’s name is Duck!
F7BC2AA4-3C5F-4186-B1C2-52EB389AA3D0.jpeg
E4958A8E-C924-48C3-8E33-E5E703B1F168.jpeg

Attachments

• 4A2CC8FE-0C5E-4756-BCC3-4B5A03C9A150.jpeg
    4A2CC8FE-0C5E-4756-BCC3-4B5A03C9A150.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I had a sick Indian Runner duckling (not contagious), so I had to go to TSC for medicine. Here is my sick duckling:

At TSC, I heard cheeping and saw ducklings. One especially made me think of an Appleyard, though the color wasn't quite right. And they also looked a bit like my duckling. I asked what breed these were, but the answer, typically, was "I don't know." Of course, this cutie and a friend jumped right into my cart. I finally got them to leave the cart... when I arrived at my car.

The head has an "appleyard" marking and the tail is black. The yellow part isn't a "clean" yellow. It is a yellow brushed over with faint black. The strangest part is that there is also black UNDER the yellow. In fact, each featherlet is black at the bottom, yellow in the upper part, but the very tips are black again. The tail is dark. The foot has white on it, and the ends of the wings are white. The upper bill has a black stripe over pink and the lower bill is pink.

Duckling # 2 from the same batch is similar but darker. The head marking is wider than a typical appleyard but there is a black head marking and a black tail. The back is a brownish yellow. Again, the bottom of each featherlet is quite black. This duckling has black feet and a black upper bill, with a pink lower bill. It has no white on the wings.

In contrast to my runner duckling, the head dips in between the eyes on the "forehead." There is a very definite V shape there.

Whatever they are, they are large and getting larger fast. Weights were 72 & 78 grams day 1, 92g and 108g day 2, and both at 145 g day 3. Compared to the Indian Runner ducklings, they are more timid and scared. They peep more loudly when isolated. They are more watchful when outdoors. They are much quicker to hide. (I got them the day TSC said they received them.)

Does anyone know what jumped into my cart? Appleyard or appleyard mix? Muscovy? Something else?
Did you ever find out what type they were? I saw some that looked very similar to those today at TSC and couldn’t identify it:)

Duckling # 2 from the same batch is similar but darker. The head marking is wider than a typical appleyard but there is a black head marking and a black tail. The back is a brownish yellow. Again, the bottom of each featherlet is quite black. This duckling has black feet and a black upper bill, with a pink lower bill. It has no white on the wings.

In contrast to my runner duckling, the head dips in between the eyes on the "forehead." There is a very definite V shape there.

Whatever they are, they are large and getting larger fast. Weights were 72 & 78 grams day 1, 92g and 108g day 2, and both at 145 g day 3. Compared to the Indian Runner ducklings, they are more timid and scared. They peep more loudly when isolated. They are more watchful when outdoors. They are much quicker to hide. (I got them the day TSC said they received them.)

Does anyone know what jumped into my cart? Appleyard or appleyard mix? Muscovy? Something else?
I dont know what breed they are but they are both very cute ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom