TSC Northeast Chick Update....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LovinMyPeeps, Mar 31, 2009.

1. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I stopped at the TSC in Massena NY today and they let me know that the northeast stores are scheduled to have their chicks shipped from Mt Healthy on 4/8/09. Not all of the stores are getting all of the chicks (like I want a Banty so I am getting mine in VT. as my Massena store is not getting banties only mixed pullets and straight run RIR's) also, they all seem to have a 6 chick minimum. He tried to tell me it was a "NY state mandate" I laughted at him and said "yah uh-huh look at your charts..." and he was like "oh I guess it is all TSC's... funny how TSC keeps telling their employees it's a state mandate.. anywho... your local TSC in the NE can let you know which chicks they will carry ahead of time [​IMG]

2. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I think here there really is a state law that requires 6 chicks. I wonder if the Ohio stores are getting theirs in too? Anyone have any idea what kind the mixed pullets are?

3. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    The feed stores don't make you buy 6 so why TSC? dunno... maybe it's a "box store" thing...

4. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    New Hampshire law states 12 chick minimum.

5. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    He called up the computer for me and all it said was "mixed pullets" I'm hoping for Orps and Wyan's as you guys have all posted such beautiful pics of your babies! I don't have any of those breeds yet.

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I'm in NY also and I just purchased chicks from Agway (a feed store) and they also had the 6 chick minimum. I don't know anything about it being a state law but I just thought I'd mention it. [​IMG] Genie

7. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    Just curious, what is the rationale behind a chick minimum?

8. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Quote:It's designed to cut down on "isn't it cute" syndrome, where someone buys one because it's cute and it dies because they don't know how to take care of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by