TSC Producers Pride Defender 2020 Version

Pics

Thomaswgordon

Songster
May 27, 2022
Maryland
Hey Everyone! My family and I are brand new to owning chickens, we bought 5 chicks from a local farm store(3 barred rocks, 2 RIR). The chicks are 5-6 weeks old and will be moving from brooder shortly. We bought the producers pride defender coop and run from TSC after A LOT of research and reviewing of various options.

We just finished putting it all together the other day and I’m curious if anyone else has this same model to know what upgrades they did. We plan to cover the bottom half with hardware cloth as well as an apron going out. I am trying to figure out what bedding/litter material to go with. I like the idea of pine shavings, however I’ve seen a lot of stuff regarding the dust that comes with it. I think the floor of the coop is not deep or sturdy enough to support sand which would be my ultimate goal. Also curious if anyone has been able to find an automatic door that fits. Any and all suggestions/comments are welcome! Thanks!

Attachments

• 2F63BAF9-3615-4F0D-B0A2-70792E6392E1.jpeg
    2F63BAF9-3615-4F0D-B0A2-70792E6392E1.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 372
  • 05513EB5-C417-406D-B4F1-892AECEBDBFA.jpeg
    05513EB5-C417-406D-B4F1-892AECEBDBFA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
Looks good! I have used shaving and hay for my coop. Hay is cheaper and is what I am currently using. I have had no issur with shavings though. And if you are going to spot clean, then I suggest shaving.

Looks good! I have used shaving and hay for my coop. Hay is cheaper and is what I am currently using. I have had no issur with shavings though. And if you are going to spot clean, then I suggest shaving.
Thank you! Do you use flake shavings? Or fine? I just realized we’re using fine in the brooder currently and that may explain the excessive dust. And I’m not sure what kind of clean I’ll be doing, preferably only cleaning weekly.

Look like you can use cinder blocks half buried around the perimeter of the run. And probably could use hardware cloth covering the bottom half of the run. To prevent predators from digging or sticking there arms through the fencing.
Thank you! Yeah I’m planning to get some block to fill in the void before backfilling with more dirt. And will be adding hardware cloth as well!

Thank you! Do you use flake shavings? Or fine? I just realized we’re using fine in the brooder currently and that may explain the excessive dust. And I’m not sure what kind of clean I’ll be doing, preferably only cleaning weekly.
Shavings are dusty. Ive just never had issues. It depends what my feed store has. Sometimes they have big flakes and sometimes they have fine. I would use big flakes so that the chicks dont want to eat them. With cleaning, weekly is fine. But they will poop A LOT while they sleep at night. So I suggest spot cleaning every other to every few days under the roost.

Last edited:
Adding ventilation would be a priority. Your planned apron is also a priority. It is likely too small for five. If the run is at least 50 sf and your climate will support that they can go out every day all year, it could work.
I think that run is 10x10, which will be enough for 5 chickens. Ventilation is definitely a need, but space-wise the chickens should be ok!

Ventilation is definitely the hardest problem to fix with this setup. You need several square feet of ventilation at a minimum but it needs to be done in a way not to create drafts for the birds while on roost. Maybe the panels over the doors could be swapped out for hardware cloth? If it gets very hot where you live, you will likely need a lot more ventilation which is a challenge with the design. You might think about a whole wall being hardware cloth, especially in summer. Space is also going to a bit cramped in the coop during bad weather. You only need a couple of nest boxes for 5, so you could take out the extras to make a bit more floor space. Sounds like you already have plans for a hardware cloth apron and that’s important as well. With a little bit of creativity, there are certainly ways to make this a usable setup and the large run certainly helps if you make it predator proof. Since the coop is on the smaller side, I’d also consider covering the run as well for shelter on rainy days.

Back
Top Bottom