TSC Questions

CluckOut

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
So I recently got 4 red pullets (all are Golden Comets) from my local TSC. These select chick were older by 2 weeks and on discount so I bought them instead of the younger ones. Well I recently moved them into a bigger brooder so they could have more space. And almost as soon as I did they started kicking up the bedding, doing this sort of stand off with each other, and fluttering around each other.
I also noticed 2 have darker heads and more feathered wings and the other two have lighter head and less feathered wings.
So here are my questions:
Is this normal behavior for chicks of this age?
Is the different colorings age or could it be sex?
and
Is it possible I could've gotten roosters even when they were marked as pullets?

thanks!

Here are some photos of the chicks you can see the wing size differences on them.

In the first picture the two chicks closest to the feeder are the ones with the shorter wings which makes me wonder if they are hens and the ones farthest from the feeder have the longer wings which makes me think they're roosters.
However it could be they're just different ages.

In the first picture the two chicks closest to the feeder are the ones with the shorter wings which makes me wonder if they are hens and the ones farthest from the feeder have the longer wings which makes me think they're roosters.
However it could be they're just different ages.
This is most likely. If they were "left overs", they could have come from hatches a day or two or three apart.

As for sex? If they are red sex links, and they seem to be, then they are all pullets. The males stick out like a sore thumb.
They are all yellow-white.

While it is always possible to get a roo from a pullet bin it sounds like normal chick behavior to me, especially if moved into a larger space, they were just having fun. And even just a few days worth of age difference makes a big difference in feather development.

Is that the smaller brooder in those pic's? I hope so because they are already to big for that space!
smile.png
Can't tell yet if you have any roo's in that bunch. Somebody more experienced with that breed may be able to help you more in that dept.

Yes this is the smaller brooder.
They have a pretty nice sized one now.
Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom