Tube feeding and hydration help

I think they could have possibly messed up somewhere with the weight/dosage conversions. The medication they gave me helped but it didn't clear up the infection either. So that's just leading me to believe that they didn't administer a large enough amount.

I can give her one, she's getting weaker every time I check on her. My mom thinks she is improving but I don't think so. I've read so many forums over the past two weeks that I don't know what to think.

I've checked her abdomen multiple times for fluid because she's having some labored breathing (if she had egg yolk peritonitis this would make sense because of the build up fluid pressure on the lungs) but there isn't any fluid from what I can tell. Her comb and face are getting paler, it fluctuates though, sometimes it's red, then it goes pale. She's also having a harder time standing as the days go on.

I've been paralleling this antibiotics course with the previous one (both were started on friday nights a week apart) and by this time the first course of antibiotics she was feeling much better, preening herself etc.

I can administer a subcutaneous injection but I worry that it will affect her breathing more. I'm not really sure what else to do. I'm just going to keep trying to tube feed her and finish this round of antibiotics. I'm currently giving her 50 mg based on 15 mg/kg which I believe is the strongest amount I can give her.

Maybe I should back off the cirpo and give her a lower dose? I read that cipro can caused reduced breathing in large animals.

She does not have any signs of respiratory issues like a runny nose or puffy eyes also.

The poop in the pictures looks too white to me, which in my experience means they are dehydrated.

Giving fluids subcutaneously can be risky, but if you go slow I think you can do it. I think the key is to give them with the needle facing the tail close to the spine between the wings. I'll see if I can get a good picture for you.

The poop in the pictures looks too white to me, which in my experience means they are dehydrated.

Giving fluids subcutaneously can be risky, but if you go slow I think you can do it. I think the key is to give them with the needle facing the tail close to the spine between the wings. I'll see if I can get a good picture for you.

That sounds good I will tonight. How much do you recommend giving her? And should I stop the tube feeding or how much should I administer that way? Also I've called around all day and cannot find any iv fluids do you think the directions on this would work?

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/En/He.../Normal-Saline-Solution-How-prepare-home.aspx

This is her latest poop. She's gotten some color back in her face since I last check 20 mins ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    857.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom