Tube feeding mishap

Maybe these pictures will help someone:

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the entrance to the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

The tube being used here is a size 18 french

How To Crop Feed Your Bird Diagram

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
This is how one could syringe medication to a bird

French
Gauge Diameter
(mm) Diameter
(inches)
3 1 0.039
4 1.33 0.053
5 1.67 0.066
6 2 0.079
7 2.3 0.092
8 2.7 0.105
9 3 0.118
10 3.3 0.131
11 3.7 0.144
12 4 0.158
13 4.3 0.170
14 4.7 0.184
15 5 0.197
16 5.3 0.210
17 5.7 0.223
18 6 0.236
19 6.3 0.249
20 6.7 0.263
22 7.3 0.288
24 8 0.315
26 8.7 0.341
28 9.3 0.367
30 10 0.393
32 10.7 0.419
34 11.3 0.445​

-Kathy

This is an incredibly helpful post, thank you so much for sharing it. The pics of the actual hen are especially helpful to me.

@Mightymax-you mentioned not going down too far because you can rupture the crop. How can you tell if that has happened? I just tube fed one of my hens and gave her 35 cc's of food. It was kinda liquidy but when I was done, her crop didn't feel full. Its squishy but I would have expected it to feel much fuller. Can the crop be ruptured internally? She doesn't seem to have any bloating underneath it but I'm just really scared now that I may have did more damage than good. It's her 3rd tube feeding (as well as mine) and she is feeling much better but she struggled a little more than usual so I am afraid I may have done something wrong. I'm using a 1/4 inch diameter tube that is 6 inches long and inserted it with about 1 1/2 inches excess from the mouth to syringe. Her crop was empty when I started. Yesterday I gave her 50 cc's and her crop was clearly full. Today, its just squishy but with no bulge to it at all and I gave her only 35cc's because it looked like she had nibbled a little of her crumble earlier today. She is a 6 month old barred rock hen. . Can you or anyone tell me how to tell if a hen has a ruptured crop internally? UGHHH. There goes my good nights sleep. Thanks in advance to all who may be able to help with this and respond.

@Mightymax-you mentioned not going down too far because you can rupture the crop. How can you tell if that has happened? I just tube fed one of my hens and gave her 35 cc's of food. It was kinda liquidy but when I was done, her crop didn't feel full. Its squishy but I would have expected it to feel much fuller. Can the crop be ruptured internally? She doesn't seem to have any bloating underneath it but I'm just really scared now that I may have did more damage than good. It's her 3rd tube feeding (as well as mine) and she is feeling much better but she struggled a little more than usual so I am afraid I may have done something wrong. I'm using a 1/4 inch diameter tube that is 6 inches long and inserted it with about 1 1/2 inches excess from the mouth to syringe. Her crop was empty when I started. Yesterday I gave her 50 cc's and her crop was clearly full. Today, its just squishy but with no bulge to it at all and I gave her only 35cc's because it looked like she had nibbled a little of her crumble earlier today. She is a 6 month old barred rock hen. . Can you or anyone tell me how to tell if a hen has a ruptured crop internally? UGHHH. There goes my good nights sleep. Thanks in advance to all who may be able to help with this and respond.
Rupturing the crop with a proper tube is unlikely. Tubes should be smooth enough for you to rub on your mucus membranes. If using aquarium air line, melt the end with a lighter to round off the edge.

-Kathy

Last edited:
If you stuck the tube down the wrong hole and gave a substantial amount, death will probably occur in less than an hour. What happened?

Back
Top Bottom