Tuf-Climate Coop Reviews

Wow! Luxery chicken condo! I would love it for my chickens but I'm afraid they would be living in a better house than me and my daughter. lol.

I like it. If you can afford it, go for it!

I dunno, the point escapes me. For that price <picks self up off floor!> you could buy a nice and *much much larger* prefab shed and chainlink kennel panels, to give your chickens 4x (or more) the space and be just as winterized as those things are.

Wowie.

I suppose if a person wants something tractor-style there might be some concieveable appeal, except that it is hard to winter chickens very well IN a tractor-sized coop in a severe winter climate, and if you WERE using one of those coops in, say, Minnesota, you sure as heck would not want to be putting anywhere near as many chickens as their "holds up to..." numbers.

JMHO,

Pat

Last edited:
I dunno, the point escapes me. For that price <picks self up off floor!> you could buy a nice and *much much larger* prefab shed and chainlink kennel panels, to give your chickens 4x (or more) the space and be just as winterized as those things are.

Ditto! And unless you're planning on keeping bantams their maximum number of birds is probably too many for the space. If you really like the look of it how about seeing if a local handyman or the highschool shop kids could build something similar? You could have it made the size you want, include any handy features you're interested in and most likely spend less money.​

I see the Ice Shield version, and I don't think in the states that they show we would need the plexiglass window, because it would be buried in snow. We have feet of snow here in NH, and it would have to be seriously elevated not to get the 2+ feet of snow plus 4 feet drifts completely covering it. Might be good for temperate climates for hardware challenged folks?

Just looking at the pic of the coop in question. My hubby...the "enabler" called me yesterday morning and told me about a local coop he saw for sale.
I thought it was sorta weird looking....was about 4 x 8 and it was built on a trailer so it had wheels back and front and looked like you could hook it up to a car, mower etc to move around. No yard with it. Was built low...as for the roof hight..but was up off ground a few feet.
They had a price on it of $300.00. I thought that was outrageous !!! But perhaps not. If anybody reading this is interested it's located in Lakeville, Ma Phone number is: 508 - 947 -7080 So, any locals looking ???
Liz
Rochester, MA

Holy Hannah, the prices are high! Plus I agree with others that it's tiny (capacity here seems to mean how many chickens you can physically stuff into it) and so low to the ground that it would get buried in snow and be incredibly difficult to access to look after the girls. Personally I'd suggest using the money to buy a wooden garden shed that you can stand up in, then just extend the roofline and make 'em a nice big roofed run. Hey presto - instant big, easy, all weather coop.

How extreme is your climate in TN? I think it looks really nice, but I think you could probably hire someone to build you one for about half that price. That said it IS really nice looking.

I think you could find someone local who could build you something much nicer and larger for less money. One is 4x6 and says that it houses up to 12 chickens. 12 is double of what that thing can hold. I'd say 5 max.

It's nice but It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over priced.

One thing I have learned is to take the "holds up to" number and cut it in half on commercially made coops (they must have really small chickens)

East TN weather is moderate. Summers can get hot (95-99 degrees), but Winters are usually mild. I can't fathom snowfall that is measured in feet...just 3 inches of snow shuts East Tennessee down for days & is considered a blizzard
lol.png

I need to go to the Amish community in Delano and see what they offer now. Everytime I go, the coops they sell seem to get a little bigger & more well-thought-out. When I first started my chicken venture in the Spring, the coops they offered were TINY, a couple of months ago they had a much nicer, bigger coop for sale.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Back
Top Bottom