1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tuftex panels

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Amp, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Amp

Amp Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    We are working on the roof of our coop and this is what I bought. They seem really flimsy but I've read several posts that say I can put these directly on the rafters. I just wanted to double check with someone who has done that before we put them up. I'm in Alabama and it get's really hot and humid here.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It depends on WHICH Tuftex-brand product you've bought. If it is the pvc (may just say 'vinyl') or 'seacoaster' panels, which are the cheaper ones, then it will not hold up well over time (in particular, hail will shatter it and after a coupla years I wouldn't expect it to withstand much wind). If OTOH you bought the more-expensive polycarbonate version, it's really good stuff.

The main thing is you need to GET THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM EXACTLY, no foolin'. If the store where you bought the panels didn't have installation pamphlets, you should be able to google a .pdf of it up online. (You can for other mfr's, I haven't personally tried looking for Tuftex's) Seriously, you need to follow the instructions for how to support it and how much unsupported overhang is too much and how to attach it and what size to predrill the holes and all that. It will work real well if you install it right; it will work real BADLY if you don't.

As far as flimsy, as long as you've got the (more-expensive) polycarbonate panels, they're really quite tough. The only thing I'm not sure about is if a raccoon started actually *chewing on* the edges. If this concerns you, put a layer of wire mesh underneath. I have yet to hear of anyone ACTUALLY having problems with raccoons gnawing apart the plastic though so my suspicion is that it's not a real big issue to say the least.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

We used the clear polycarb Tuftex panel on the roof of the little green house we built. It really is nice for letting in the sunlight & really builds up a lot of heat inside. If you are planning on using these make sure your coop will be shaded with a lot of ventilation or it will be like an oven cooking your chickens!

4. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    I used the white ones on top of my dog kennels for four years. They've survived blowing off (because I never really nailed them down) and having five 70lb plus gsd's trample them repeatedly. I even had a case where one climbed on the kennels and walked across the panels to freedom.

like the other person daid, follow the instructions carefully, and make sure you use enough beams to support them.

5. Amp

Amp Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    They say "ultra vinyl" on them but they were the most expensive one's that we saw. I think we will be okay as long as we follow instructions. Thanks

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Warning, those are pvc NOT polycarbonate. I will betcha if you look at the fine print they carry no hail warranty and are warranted for other things for only a few (like 5-ish) years.

You can use them of course. Just don't expect them to hold up well.

The polycarbonate really is a LOT better, longevity-wise and durability-wise and price-per-year-of-usable-life-wise.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by