tufts under attack! araucana question..

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
my poor araucana roos aren't mating yet, but the girls seem to like to break their tuft feathers off. Will they ever leave them alone?

My rooster is a happy bantam schmoo of a guy. Thanks to his favorite girl he is also missing most of his left tuft. She likes to yank on it when she wants his attention.

12945_caliente.jpg

So good luck with that. I don't know how people both breed and show these birds.

The young ones are really bad for picking them out. I found the more mature hens are not as bad about it..at least my black hens still have their tufts. My roos tufts are always picked clean by the hens. It's a nightmare sometimes.
barnie.gif
The only way to ensure you keep tufts on your birds is to pen them separately.

I Caaaannnnnn't hear you sweetheart. It's not my fault, this helmet covers my ears. Unh sorry dear didn't catch that either.
wink.png
My husband's dream I think- and a perfect excuse. It might help the tufts problem if we could get tiny helmets but I bet my guy would loose more tail feathers off his non-existant hiny.
barnie.gif

My adults have not (yet) ever bothered each other's tufts. But my babies are. It's maddening!
barnie.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif

I'm hoping that the tufts are not permanently damaged in these picked babies. I'm crossing my fingers that they will grow back eventually!
fl.gif

What an odd and funny situation. I never would have imagined them picking at each others tufts. Although you must admit if you were a chicken you would probably do the same thing...lol

Back
Top Bottom