tufts under attack! araucana question..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Mar 24, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    my poor araucana roos aren't mating yet, but the girls seem to like to break their tuft feathers off. Will they ever leave them alone?

2. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    My rooster is a happy bantam schmoo of a guy. Thanks to his favorite girl he is also missing most of his left tuft. She likes to yank on it when she wants his attention.

[​IMG]

So good luck with that. I don't know how people both breed and show these birds.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The young ones are really bad for picking them out. I found the more mature hens are not as bad about it..at least my black hens still have their tufts. My roos tufts are always picked clean by the hens. It's a nightmare sometimes. [​IMG] The only way to ensure you keep tufts on your birds is to pen them separately.

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    My standards attacked the tufts. Is very disappointing but should not affect egg laying!

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hmmm, we have saddles to protect the backs of hens from overly amorous roos, perhaps we need helmets with faceguards?

6. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I Caaaannnnnn't hear you sweetheart. It's not my fault, this helmet covers my ears. Unh sorry dear didn't catch that either. [​IMG] My husband's dream I think- and a perfect excuse. It might help the tufts problem if we could get tiny helmets but I bet my guy would loose more tail feathers off his non-existant hiny. [​IMG]

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

8. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    My adults have not (yet) ever bothered each other's tufts. But my babies are. It's maddening! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm hoping that the tufts are not permanently damaged in these picked babies. I'm crossing my fingers that they will grow back eventually! [​IMG]

10. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    What an odd and funny situation. I never would have imagined them picking at each others tufts. Although you must admit if you were a chicken you would probably do the same thing...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by