Tumbler compost bin recomendations

mlh328

Songster
7 Years
Sep 2, 2016
Butte, MT
Hi guys! I looked for something current regarding this topic but only found threads that are a few years old so figured I'd check with you all. I am thinking of buying a compost tumbler. I was looking at the double barrel ones on Amazon and not sure where to start. I have never composted before and would like to give it a try using the coop litter from my 6 chickens. Any recommendations on specific brands/models or advice on which ones to avoid? Thanks in advance for any input!

I have an old ComposTumbler and I really like it even though it is just about rusted through. They are now a Mantis product and last I looked this spring they were sold out. That poor thing is about 20 years old and has had a rough life. I bought it 20 years ago for my garden area in Wisconsin. Absolutely loved it there. Took it with when we moved to Wyoming - where we had bad spring storm a week after moving there and the 60 mile per hour winds rolled the tumbler across the prairie for almost a mile until it go stuck in a fence line. I tried to compost in it in Wyoming, but the high mountain dessert is just too dry. I need to get a couple of vent covers and a new door for it.

I like the CompostTumbler because the gearing makes it easy to rotate, even when it is full. It takes alot of cranks to make a complete turn of the tumbler, but it is easy enough for this old lady to do.

@wyoDreamer
Is that your pup in your picture? I love it! I checked out the mantis composters and they do look nice. I like that they have wheels and the smaller one looks to be the perfect size for my needs. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Yes, that is my Pistol Pete (named for the U of Wyoming mascot by previous owners). He is a English setter and 14 1/2 years old. He is starting to slow down but he is my lovable old guy.

composter.png

Here's a pic of my tumbler. Here's the model link. I don't think the model matters too much. It has 2 compartments and is large enough that each side holds approximately 3/4 of a trash bin of manure and wood shavings.

I went cheap to begin with and drilled holes into the side of a plastic garbage bin, hoping to turn the garbage bin as a substitute for the tumbler. The hole-filled bin is now where I hold the dry compost to collect before throwing it into the tumbler all at once then wetting.

It makes a BIG difference. With quail manure (about 1/3 of the mix) and wood shavings (about 2/3 of the mix) it heats and composts in about 3 weeks versus much longer without the tumbler.

@CovidtimeQuail
That one looks nice! I do like the double compartment idea. And your set up with the trash bin is pretty clever. Have you had this one long? Thanks for the link!

I've had it long enough to run 3 batches or so of compost. That compost is MAGIC. I usually have enough material to run each side about 4 weeks apart from each other so that there's always some compost ready to use.

The compost is what convinced me I need to raise quail forever.

Back
Top Bottom