Tummy rumbles in hen with sour crop and a few stubborn grains stuck in crop!

jodievaughan

Songster
5 Years
Dec 29, 2016
I'm wondering if anyone knows what the cause of the rumbling is. My hen Abi has had sour crop for a few days now and ever since I started giving her probiotic, I've noticed the tummy rumbling which has gradually increased day by day. I'm also giving her Clotrimazole. I figured the rumbling could be the sounds of fermentation, or the probiotics working against the bad bacterial overgrowth. Any ideas?

I'm also wondering if anyone could suggest what to do about these few pesky grains of corn (literally about 5 of them) stuck in her crop. I have been vomiting her each morning and all of the fluids come out, but those grains stay there for some reason. I have a feeling she won't get better until they are out of her crop. Does anyone have any ideas for what I could do about this?

I'd really appreciate anyone's insight.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the cause of the rumbling is. My hen Abi has had sour crop for a few days now and ever since I started giving her probiotic, I've noticed the tummy rumbling which has gradually increased day by day. I'm also giving her Clotrimazole. I figured the rumbling could be the sounds of fermentation, or the probiotics working against the bad bacterial overgrowth. Any ideas?

I'm also wondering if anyone could suggest what to do about these few pesky grains of corn (literally about 5 of them) stuck in her crop. I have been vomiting her each morning and all of the fluids come out, but those grains stay there for some reason. I have a feeling she won't get better until they are out of her crop. Does anyone have any ideas for what I could do about this?

I'd really appreciate anyone's insight.
I do not have a lot of experience with sour crop. I only have had one hen who had it and made it.

Almost every "expert" on BYC I meet recommend AGAINST vomiting them.

@Wyorp Rock @azygous should be able to help.

Try first giving her some granite grit to help grind up the corn. It may not be corn, though, but a concentration of grit in her crop that you can feel when the crop is empty.

If that doesn't seem to resolve it, try giving a teaspoon of coconut oil divided into small pieces and chilled solid.

Back
Top Bottom