Tumor, injury, bumblefoot?

chimi

Chirping
Oct 16, 2018
Lawrence, KS
I just noticed this bump on my americauna hen's foot, and not quite sure whether it needs treatment and what that treatment might be. She's behaving normally, no limp, just the bump. The bump itself feels firm. Based on photos around here and internet of bumblefoot, I'm not sure that's it, as bottom of the foot looks pretty normal (some dirt, but doesn't look irritated like bumblefoot). Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1671.jpeg
    IMG_1671.jpeg
    671.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1669.jpeg
    IMG_1669.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 8
I just noticed this bump on my americauna hen's foot, and not quite sure whether it needs treatment and what that treatment might be. She's behaving normally, no limp, just the bump. The bump itself feels firm. Based on photos around here and internet of bumblefoot, I'm not sure that's it, as bottom of the foot looks pretty normal (some dirt, but doesn't look irritated like bumblefoot). Any help would be much appreciated!
Looks like a bumble. I see the dark brown scab.

Thanks for the feedback! I was hoping that was just dirt. Thankfully, there are a lot of instructions about next steps on this site. I'm not sure if you (or anyone else who finds this thread) know, but will that hard bump on top of her foot more-or-less deflate when I cut out and clean the scab area?

Thanks for the feedback! I was hoping that was just dirt. Thankfully, there are a lot of instructions about next steps on this site. I'm not sure if you (or anyone else who finds this thread) know, but will that hard bump on top of her foot more-or-less deflate when I cut out and clean the scab area?
I personally would not cut into it just yet, I would soak in warm epsom salt soak for 10-15 mins, the. Try to pull the scab off, if it doesn’t try again next time. Then whether or not the scab comes off, put neosporin without pain relief in it, on the bumble and wrap it with vet wrap and keep the bird in a dry clean area. Repeat treatment until better. If that doesn’t work after treatment for a while, then maybe try cutting it, but doing surgery is a last resort for me. Good luck with your bird

Its not as simple as an abscess. The infection walls itself off into a dry capsule so it doesn't run out or express like pus does. That would be MUCH less of a project. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Look around for some ideas as to how you want to proceed. You can home treat in various ways or see a vet.

Bottom of foot looks o.k. to me.

Top of the foot, yes, she's got Bumblefoot. (Bumblefoot is any infection of the foot).

For the TOP of the foot, I'd soak in a little epsom salts water, then swab that bump. Press and see if any pus (which would be semi-solid) or a core squeezes out. You may need to lance or prick it. Clean it out really well with Chlorhexidine. Wrap.
Take a look at it each day to see that it's healing.

1663470456872.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom