Tumor? :(

cochinGurl

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
bellingham
Several months ago one of my favorite birds(Dale) was attacked by a hawk. He had always been an athletic bird, very strong flyer. It had him on the ground but flew off when I came running it luckily left him there. I thought he was a goner for sure, he had very little coordination and couldn't stand. I didn't find any open wounds, the only blood was comming out of his nostrils and mouth.
I took him and his mate into the house. to my surprise he recovered over the next few days, perked up, regained coordination, started eating and drinking. He went back to his normal curious energetic self except for one thing: He couldn't fly. His right wing drooped, and he held it away from his body. So ever since then when I pick him up I try to carefully avoid putting pressure on the area. He is very tame so this is not hard to do, usually I can coax him to step onto my arm and I carry him that way.
I take him and his partner out to an aviary on a regular basis for fresh air, sunshine and a change of scenery. the other day however Dale was standing in the back of his cage and I happened to pick him up with both hands. That's when I made the disturbing discovery, there is a huge lump on the underside of his wing. It's pink and yellow and about half the size of his head and hard to the touch. I am very concerned about him and feel so bad that I didn't know about it until now. Any suggestions or advise? thanks for your time.

My first instinct on hearing of the tumor was to lance it.

However on looking at the picture I do not think that is a wise idea.

If it was me I think I would be inclined to leave well enough alone. It does not look like it is infected or life threatening.

I think any attempt to rectify the problem could do more harm than good at this point.

Back
Top Bottom