Tumour or abcess ?

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
Hi all I hope you could help me with your opinions and advice on my lovely elderly girl violet. She’s between 10-12 years old, I noticed this morning she had blood coming from her vent, I cleaned her up and when I had a feel inside on the left of her vent is a large mass, it feels like half a hard boiled egg.

I took her immediately to the vet who said she felt it was a cancerous tumour, she said as of today it’s not blocking her going to the toilet but that eventually it will grow and I will of course have to have her put to sleep, I asked if it could be an abcess due to the speed it’s come up and she said she can’t tell without aspirating it and given violet age she didn’t want to cause her any distress and she didn’t think she’d survive any anaesthetic .

I asked for some Baytril to try over the weekend and I wondered if by some miracle it was an abcess will this help at all or is the only way to have it drained ? She’s got pain relief for over the weekend but I think that if this is cancer then I will have to be making a very difficult decision, the last thing I want is her to suffer or be in pain but I really want to check it’s not anything else before having her put to sleep.

Any advice or suggestions is very much appreciated thank you

IMG_8589.jpeg
I’m not sure if it’s clear but to the left on her vent is the lump

Cancer is fairly common, but they also can have large masses in the coelom or abdomen, usually from lash eggs material and salpingitis, or egg yolk peritonitis. Some people do use Baytril to treat egg yolk peritonitis although it may not help. How long ago did she stop laying eggs? I would say it would not hurt her to give the antibiotics a try. But at some point you may want to make sure that she is eating and drinking, and that her skin does not break down back around the vent. Is her lower belly full and hard, or is there any fluid inside? Water belly (ascites) can be another feature of egg yolk peritonitis and cancer. If she ever appears to be suffering I would put her down. It is amazing that she has lived such a long life.

Back
Top Bottom