Tums for Calcium?

Eliminate the scratch and mealworms. Scratch is extremely low in calcium and that dilution could have originated the problem.
Scratch, depending on the types of grains, could be 0.5% calcium or less. Mealworms contain a little more than 3 mg/100 grams. That means they have virtually none.
It is important to remember that the layer feed you are giving is complete, with all the nutrients they need in exactly the right ratios. They don't need treats.
Adding scratch and mealworms will screw that up and it is best when one has the problems you do, go back to basics - meaning feed only.
I refer again to the factors that affect shell quality.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/factors-influencing-shell-quality
ok..ty

HELP!!!! My duck is egg bound as we speak. I've got her in warm water soaking. She has passed 1 oblong shaped egg but is having a lot more trouble passing the others. I say others because I can feel there are 2 more at least. I'm reading to give her tums which I have but how much do I give?? & what do I crush them up in to feed to her?? Please help me

HELP!!!! My duck is egg bound as we speak. I've got her in warm water soaking. She has passed 1 oblong shaped egg but is having a lot more trouble passing the others. I say others because I can feel there are 2 more at least. I'm reading to give her tums which I have but how much do I give?? & what do I crush them up in to feed to her?? Please help me
Welcome To BYC

How is your Duck?

For the Tums, you can cut it in half then give her 1 piece at a time is if you wish. Tums don't mix well with water, so I give it whole or in pieces. Basically, whatever method you can find to get the calcium into her is the best method:)

Was she able to pass the other eggs?

If you have epsom salts, these can be added to the soaking water, but it's not necessary.

Work on keeping her hydrated too.

I'll tag in some Duck Folks to see if they can offer more suggestions. If she were mine, I'd give her extra calcium for several days even when she's expelled these.

@Miss Lydia @Quatie @HollowOfWisps

I've never used tums so not sure how many should be given but if she is eating you might could hide it in some chopped tomatoes or some other tasty treat.
Best thing to have on hand is liquid Calcium Gluconate one of our members had her duck to the vet because she was egg-bound and this is what was given to her by injection we use it orally and usually takes overnight for it to work but it does. In most cases, @Aunt Angus had to give it to one of her ducks for several days before she laid. Honestly the best there is though to help get the egg moving. Calcium Gluconate can be found at TSC or online.

@Daniellemarie0604 how is she doing today?

If she hasn't laid any of them today, you should consider taking her into a vet. If there are actually two eggs stuck in her vent, this could be very deadly for her.

I've never used tums so not sure how many should be given but if she is eating you might could hide it in some chopped tomatoes or some other tasty treat.
Best thing to have on hand is liquid Calcium Gluconate one of our members had her duck to the vet because she was egg-bound and this is what was given to her by injection we use it orally and usually takes overnight for it to work but it does. In most cases, @Aunt Angus had to give it to one of her ducks for several days before she laid. Honestly the best there is though to help get the egg moving. Calcium Gluconate can be found at TSC or online.

@Daniellemarie0604 how is she doing today?
Hi she only passed 1 last night but I know there's more so I went & bought the calcium gluconate now I just need to know exactly how to give it to her orally. Can I out it in the water bowl or do I have to give it to her through a syringe? & I read somewhere you have to be very precise with how to give it to them. I'm nervous about that. Could you tell me exactly how you did it please?

Welcome To BYC

How is your Duck?

For the Tums, you can cut it in half then give her 1 piece at a time is if you wish. Tums don't mix well with water, so I give it whole or in pieces. Basically, whatever method you can find to get the calcium into her is the best method:)

If you have epsom salts, these can be added to the soaking water, but it's not necessary.

I'll tag in some Duck Folks to see if they can offer more suggestions. If she were mine, I'd give her extra calcium for several days even when she's expelled these.

Welcome To BYC

How is your Duck?

I went & bought the calcium gluconate today. How do I give it to her? Can someone tell me step by step please? She's eating & drinking fine. Walking around searching for bugs as we speak. She's using the bathroom fine too. Her belly just still looks really low & she's still pushing

I'm glad someone was able to help. Keep in mind there is an Emergency forum on which a new thread will likely get more views and attention.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Back
Top Bottom