Tums? Why do we give them and how?

I’m thinking we may have a hen who is an internal layer. If you don’t mind my jumping in here:did you see stools that looked like scrambled eggs? Anything else you did other than the Tums and soaking her in the warm bath to help her? I realize it may only be a short term fix but trying to see what we can do to ease her through this for now.

Quote:

yes indeed (as always) I do (and this is not the only reference):
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00352.htm
Chronic Egg-laying (Atlantic Coast Veterinary Conference)
Teresa L. Lightfoot D.V.M., Diplomate ABVP - Avian
"....Supplemental calcium should be supplied, such as oral calcium glubionate (Neo-Calglucon , Sandoz Pharmaceuticals, East Hanover, NY) at 1.0 ml/kg BID, a calcium enriched antacid (Tums ), or judicious use of a calcium/Vitamin D3 powder, such as Osteoform. A total dietary percentage of 0.3% for egg-laying birds is generally sufficient to prevent calcium deficiency. Note that many formulated diet labels contain only 0.05% calcium. ..."

DO NOT USE ROLAIDS as it has magnesium (and quite a bit too) use the regular TUM product as its only active ingredient is the calcium
How much Tums should I administer and how often?

Been raising chickens for a decade and have never had one egg bound until now. I'm on day 3 (that I'm aware of; she could have been bound before I noticed) of treating her with Epsom salt baths (How often should those be done? I'm doing them first thing in the morning, mid day and just before sunset.), Tums (crushed in her wild bird seed and bread soaked in water; this is the only thing she'll eat and the only way I'm getting water into her), lube on her vent and injected inside, and essential oils on her feet ( a blend made for animals) to calm her. How much and how often should I administer Tums? She is acting more normal today; talkative, walking a little, pooping a little, eating a little more, and looking happier. But, STILL NO EGG! I'm very concerned and it hurts me to see her in pain. Can I give her aspirin, ibuprofen or acetamenaphin? Thanks so much for any and all advice. I love my hens and this one is a particularly sweet one.

Been raising chickens for a decade and have never had one egg bound until now. I'm on day 3 (that I'm aware of; she could have been bound before I noticed) of treating her with Epsom salt baths (How often should those be done? I'm doing them first thing in the morning, mid day and just before sunset.), Tums (crushed in her wild bird seed and bread soaked in water; this is the only thing she'll eat and the only way I'm getting water into her), lube on her vent and injected inside, and essential oils on her feet ( a blend made for animals) to calm her. How much and how often should I administer Tums? She is acting more normal today; talkative, walking a little, pooping a little, eating a little more, and looking happier. But, STILL NO EGG! I'm very concerned and it hurts me to see her in pain. Can I give her aspirin, ibuprofen or acetamenaphin? Thanks so much for any and all advice. I love my hens and this one is a particularly sweet one.
How did it turn out? I have an egg bound lady right now 🙁

Back
Top Bottom