Tunnel Nests

It sounds like that is the kind of nest box I built on my coop. I modeled mine after the one my DSO built. I had no idea what it was called, but it sounds and looks like the one in the link. edited to say: I don't have a mesh bottom. Mine is a plywood bottom with shavings.

Mine is 5'x2'x18" with a small access hole in the center, raised about 3 feet off the ground, accessed from the coop. The lid is hinged for egg collection and cleaning.

The chickens all prefer to nest in the dark ends, and will share the space without complaint. If the box is really full (if all 4 birds miraculously are laying at once) then they will lay in the center. I have never had a broken egg. I have never had a hen eat an egg. It's a great system.

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's an idea - line your nests with heavy paper, newspaper, etc. Then put in the litter. When its time to clean out the nest, just wrap the whole mess up in the paper and toss it on the compost heap.
A further development on this is to use wire bottoms, beneath the paper.
The Five Rules apply, universally, to chickens. Cardinal among these is Cleanliness.

Last edited:
Am I correct, Dave?

These Five Rules are:

1 Seiri - Sorting

2 Seiton - Setting in Order

3 Seiso - Sweeping or Cleaniness

4 Seiketsu - Standardizing

5 nonsense - Sustaining the discipline

I use large cardboard boxes in the nest area and, lately, shredded paper in the boxes. Three hens can fit in the box if they aren't interested in following Rule #2
roll.png

Cleaning for me is fairly simple but I've thought about tying feather dusters to strap-on chicken saddles. That way the hens could sweep up during the day as they move around the coop
wink.png

Steve
edited to correct my Japanese/English

Last edited:
digitS' :

Am I correct, Dave?

These Five Rules are:

1 Seiri - Sorting

2 Seiton - Setting in Order

3 Seiso - Sweeping or Cleaniness

4 Seiketsu - Standardizing

5 nonsense - Sustaining the discipline

I use large cardboard boxes in the nest area and, lately, shredded paper in the boxes. Three hens can fit in the box if they aren't interested in following Rule #2
roll.png

Cleaning for me is fairly simple but I've thought about tying feather dusters to strap-on chicken saddles. That way the hens could sweep up during the day as they move around the coop
wink.png

Steve
edited to correct my Japanese/English

Well sorta, but not really. Those are the "5S's," the love of all modern corporate management types.
Transplant them if you like, though, as they will do as well in the henyard.

No, the Five Rules of Chickens are something else. They are:

1. Clean and proper food
2. Clean and fresh water.
3. Dry and tight housing, well ventilated
4. Protection from predators.
5. Cleanliness in all things, to include housing and surroundings.

Adhere to these Rules and little else needs be worried over with chickens.

I actually wrote on these at length somewhere here on BYC and went so far as to copyright the whole thing. But none of that is really needed - the Rules are too simple for all of that.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom