turducken??? urg! maybe not :(

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Evelle, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    ive been looking up how to make a turducken for thanksgiving [​IMG]
    but i think it looks to hard. i dont know how to debone chicken or a duck for that matter and the
    butterflyed turkey looks the easyest to do.. urg im so disappointed, i was really excited to try something new and something i compleatly raised. pig, for cornbread sausage stuffing, the turkey and the duck and well yeah the chicken. [​IMG]
    i just think im overestamating my skills with a knife [​IMG]
    i just dont think i could do it [​IMG][​IMG]
    has any one made one (or even taste one) whats your experance!!

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Have you looked for HOW TO videos on You Tube?

3. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    ive looked up how to make a turducken but im going to keep looking.
    i really would like to try i have everything in the freezer for it..

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It seems overly complicated to me. A show-off rather than a gourmet taste.

The only benefit I can think of is that all the fat from the duck will baste the turkey meat.

But you can get a nice moist turkey breast by roasting the turkey breast side down and then turning it breast side up to brown.

If you want the show-off factor, You could get the same effect by just breasting out. Split the turkey breast and stuff it with the chicken breast and the duck breast and tie it with butcher's string. Then the remainder of the birds could either be cooked separately or saved for another meal.

5. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    good point..
    i think its... we have a turkey duck and chicken in the freezer so my husband want to try is so he can say he did..
    but thats a great factor i would rather cook them seprate then cut it all up and toss it with some cornbread stuffing lol
    but thats kinda me being lazy also [​IMG]

6. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    You could try a Roulade.

Use the breast meat of each, pounded out slightly. Layer turkey, duck, chicken, and then a filling of herbs and stuffing (some nice bits of the asst. livers), tie it with twine, sear it and cook it in a little stock & wine (in a covered pot in the oven) until the internal temp is 165.
    If you are using fresh, homegrown ingredients, and don't over season things, you will be able to taste the different meats. It is still a huge amount of food, and your husband can have the experience.

I'd say though - go for the "turducken". Why not? If you don't do "well" when you break down the birds just do a roulade and make stew with the rest.
    I think all adventures in the kitchen are valuable experiences. Worst case scenario is you have grilled cheese for dinner and a funny story to tell someday.

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Check this out...It doesn't look hard just time consuming. I have de-boned a chicken before for an Italian dish I was making once and it wasn't hard. If you give yourself plenty of time...say de-bone one bird a day before assembly... I don't think you would have any problem.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Turducken

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Turducken is on my "list" of things i have to try someday...
    Do it and let us know how it is... [​IMG]

9. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    My DH and I made one back in '05 when we first started dating. We had a lot more time and energy then! [​IMG] It was a lot of fun and tasted pretty good. Every
    one still talks about it too! I wouldn't do it again but it was fun to try once. The hardest part was boning the duck, we ended up with only a few pieces that weren't attached to each other, lol. The turkey and the chicken weren't too bad. I found some directions online somewhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    hmmm im still on the fence albout it..... it is just one of those... "i had that once"
    maybe ill see if i can talk my butcher into doing the hard work for me LOL again lazy me talking [​IMG]
    id just hate to put all that work into something that didnt turn out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by