Turken......to large to be a pullet??

rhodiegal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 18, 2007
North Georgia
For the experienced Turken people out there: I have what is supposed to be a Turken pullet. However, she is huge compared to the rest of the hens and is even bigger than some of the cockerels. She is 2 months old and does not have any pointed rooster-like feathers as far as I can see. She has thick, long legs and huge feet.

Is this typical for the breed? I mean are they just big birds or did the hatchery give me a cockerel by accident? She is also very outgoing and will fight with some of the cockerels.

Is it the only Turken and is the face and upper neck showing a lot of dark pink/red on this one? Some boys start showing the red tint on faces pretty early. But even the girls can sometimes "blush" to have a red face when excited but it's always temporary and it fades back to very soft pink.

Hard to tell by the size as some turkens are huge, my very first turken hen was enormous- she was 9 lbs and had two roosters that were 11 and 13 lbs. Most seem to average 8 lbs though.

If there's a chance of pictures, it will help a lot.

Give us a picture and we can probably tell you more about it i have several and most of mine are big boys and girls probably in the 8 pound to 13 pound they lay a big brown pinkish egg and the hatch rate is almost perfect.

491_100_0905.jpg

Fixed it for you.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Close.. either delete the img or put the url in between the img and /img tabs to make the picture show up in post.

I was able to see the picture though.. from that angle, looks like a girl to me. But the darker red feathers on the shoulders did make me look twice, can't tell if they are new feathers coming in a darker color or might be rooster feathers. Take a close look at the darker feathers on the cap, wing and shoulder area.. look if any that have a 'super glossy shine'.

Back
Top Bottom