Turkey’s In The Garden?

that_crazy_lady

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Salina, OK
Saw a video where a man said he had juvenile turkeys in his garden without damaging the crops. It was a farm tour, and he didn’t have any at that time. He was talking about how effective they were at managing Beatles.
Was that just his experience? Or does it seem likely?

Saw a video where a man said he had juvenile turkeys in his garden without damaging the crops. It was a farm tour, and he didn’t have any at that time. He was talking about how effective they were at managing Beatles.
Was that just his experience? Or does it seem likely?
I have let turkeys in my garden but only supervised. They can do a good job before there is ripe produce and there are plenty of bugs. I do on occasion have a turkey hen that will make a hidden nest in the garden without doing too much damage.

The one thing that is in jeopardy early on are young onion plants. I have had them walk along a row of onions and either clip off the tops or just pull them out. They don't eat them, they just drop them right where they were.

My garden borders their pen. Anything growing close enough to the fence to be reached does not make it to maturity. This includes pumpkins and tomatoes.

If allowed to spend too much time in the garden, they can dig craters to dust bathe in. Any plants in the way get dug out.

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback!
He specified juveniles, because they are more active and don’t scratch as much. I thought it was interesting... and maybe running some through there could help with those squash bugs.

Back
Top Bottom