Turkey advice

firedove

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Fitzwilliam NH
So, I'm moving to upstate NY in about a month and I would like to add a flock of turkeys to the mix maybe late summer. I want something that is appealing to me to look at but is also tasty, cold hardy, able to free range well if I choose (we will have 22 acres) and will breed well and lay a decent number of eggs. I know the basic standard choice breeds (midget white, bronze, and bourbon red) but none of those really appeal to me visually which is not necessarily super important but I do have to look at the flock too so if ones that interest me more would be appropriate, why not?. Slates are very appealing to me and I do like Palms but not sure they meet what I'm looking for. I have a tendency to drool over the Porter's varieties like penciled birds and such as well, especially the tiger bronze. So, which is the best breed for me and where is a good place to track down good birds, not the hatchery "meh" sort? I like the Porter's birds but I'm not sure I want 15 (min order) and they only ship 6 of each type so I would need to get at least 3 different kinds.

Thanks!

It sounds like you are probably not going to want to order from Porters but that is probably the best place to get rare colors that are not your typical hatchery kind. I have seen Slates have a snotty attitude problem and I tend to stay away from those Have you seen the Narragansett? There are probably breeders that have rare colors have you looked into that?

Good luck on finding what you want

Thanks for the heads up on Slates, lol. I love the Porters ones, I just don't know that I want 15 turkeys. Will have to see if someone would split an order with me locally or something.

Back
Top Bottom