Turkey and Chicken Coops The good the bad and the ugly post your Pictures

put a Great Pyrenees in the pen. NO more predators. Period. My turkeys, chickens, cats and goats all live a peaceful life. thanks to my beautiful boy. I was loosing more chickens that I was keeping before I got him. Not one lost since then.

More pictures please!!

I recently moved to Coastal Texas and need ideas for a turkey/chicken coop. The birds will be free ranging but fenced in.
I would love to modify an old shed for my pretties.

I'm worried about keeping adequate shelter, but allowing enough air flow as well as flooding and hurricanes whisking my coop away.

Some how I'm going to have to build up the ground to make sure the birds stay dry, or build a floor and put the thing on blocks or legs.

I like this design, but I would like to keep 6 hens and 4 turkeys.

I'm in love with the idea of having Royal Palm turkeys. If I have two boys and two girls I'm hoping for little squabbling.

Any input is appreciated..

More pictures please!!

I recently moved to Coastal Texas and need ideas for a turkey/chicken coop. The birds will be free ranging but fenced in.
I would love to modify an old shed for my pretties.

I'm worried about keeping adequate shelter, but allowing enough air flow as well as flooding and hurricanes whisking my coop away.

Some how I'm going to have to build up the ground to make sure the birds stay dry, or build a floor and put the thing on blocks or legs.

I like this design, but I would like to keep 6 hens and 4 turkeys.

I'm in love with the idea of having Royal Palm turkeys. If I have two boys and two girls I'm hoping for little squabbling.

Any input is appreciated..
If you want to have four turkeys, you are much better having 3 hens and 1 tom. Two equally matched adult toms will spend most of their time fighting and trying to prevent each other from breeding the hens. During all of the squabbling the hens could get injured when one tom knocks the other tom off of the hen's back.

Turkeys are in no way monogamous and do not do well in pairs. I try to keep 4 to 5 hens for one tom and some others keep even more hens per one tom.

Mine's a little ugly until I paint it. I repurposed siding off a dilapidated camper for the siding and roofing on mine, and I used some of the windows and the door for it too. I have exactly the paint colors in mind, just no funds to get it yet, and I need to do something with that plywood still. I built all of this myself, I've never actually built a building before, small things sure, but never a building, so I'm pretty happy with what I accomplished.

My makeshift mini coop for my chicks I'm working on integrating (big chicks were WAY too rough so trying a look but don't touch approach, so far so good). I plan to do more to this, just haven't yet (I want to add in supports and raise it up, then chicken wire down where I add supports in so the bigs can't access the littles).

Here is my turkey pen/coop. I got some free pallets from CL. bought a few 2x4 and roofing material. I used sand on the floor.
Started with one section with 3 nesting boxes but later I added the other open section as the turkeys got bigger.
I keep 11 turkeys, let them out to free range on the days that I am home.

i know this is an old post but hopefully you can answer this! I see in the first picture you have a flat board going up to coop. Do your turkeys climb up and down that with no problem. I have built a roost for our turkeys and they birds are bigger than I expected and they have hurt themselves flying down from there. I built a lower roost but they still want to get up to the higher bar. We have thought of angling a plank but I didnt know if they would come down it!

4 Broad Breasted Whites living in here. Wood is mostly pine slab plus a few odds and ends the neighbor was throwing away (along with the OSB and vinyl siding pieces). There's an old speaker box that one of them uses now and then to sleep, generally they perch up high to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom