Turkey attacked by dog need some advice please

kianav

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
My royal palm turkey was attacked (and several chickens killed) by a husky on Nov 7. He was torn up pretty bad with actual chunks of his skin missing (one the size of a baseball almost), multiple puncture wounds and all of his feathers are gone on his back and tail, he was also limping pretty bad. I brought him inside, have him in a large dog cage and have been treating his wounds 3-4 times a day with Vetericyn spray, I gave him an injection of Dura-penn on friday and then again on sunday, he is improving! yay! My question is on the dura-penn label it says 1 dose then another in 48 hrs (for cattle) but on the chicken dosage page on the net it says to give it everyday for 5-7 days....we've come a long way and I don't want to gve too much or not enough..any suggestions? "Chester" and I thank you in advance!
amy

casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
If it I procaine in it, I would do some research on it as I believe procaine is toxic to poultry.Tylan would be a better choice.

kianav

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
It was recomended as the top drug of choice for bite woulds for poutry and then I checked on it on poultrypedia.com but I did read somewhere that you should not give it 'plus' a topical with anything 'caine' in it as that absorbs thru the skin and you could overdose that way.

amy

casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
It was recomended as the top drug of choice for bite woulds for poutry and then I checked on it on poultrypedia.com but I did read somewhere that you should not give it 'plus' a topical with anything 'caine' in it as that absorbs thru the skin and you could overdose that way. 

amy

I read that, too, but I also read something that was published by a vet that said penicillin w/procaine should be avoided due to procaine toxicity. Penicillin, by itself would be fine, but I don't think the injectable comes without procaine. I will try to find the source and post it.

Top Bottom