Turkey attacked by dog need some advice please

kianav

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
My royal palm turkey was attacked (and several chickens killed) by a husky on Nov 7. He was torn up pretty bad with actual chunks of his skin missing (one the size of a baseball almost), multiple puncture wounds and all of his feathers are gone on his back and tail, he was also limping pretty bad. I brought him inside, have him in a large dog cage and have been treating his wounds 3-4 times a day with Vetericyn spray, I gave him an injection of Dura-penn on friday and then again on sunday, he is improving! yay! My question is on the dura-penn label it says 1 dose then another in 48 hrs (for cattle) but on the chicken dosage page on the net it says to give it everyday for 5-7 days....we've come a long way and I don't want to gve too much or not enough..any suggestions? "Chester" and I thank you in advance!
amy

If it I procaine in it, I would do some research on it as I believe procaine is toxic to poultry.Tylan would be a better choice.

It was recomended as the top drug of choice for bite woulds for poutry and then I checked on it on poultrypedia.com but I did read somewhere that you should not give it 'plus' a topical with anything 'caine' in it as that absorbs thru the skin and you could overdose that way.

amy

It was recomended as the top drug of choice for bite woulds for poutry and then I checked on it on poultrypedia.com but I did read somewhere that you should not give it 'plus' a topical with anything 'caine' in it as that absorbs thru the skin and you could overdose that way. 

amy

I read that, too, but I also read something that was published by a vet that said penicillin w/procaine should be avoided due to procaine toxicity. Penicillin, by itself would be fine, but I don't think the injectable comes without procaine. I will try to find the source and post it.

Back
Top Bottom