turkey attacked *graphic photo added*

NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez Poultry
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
Casa Grande
My Coop
My Coop
My sisters turkey turned up missing days ago and she saw buzzards flying over the tree line and went out to lpok at her tom was being eaten alive by buzzards. . She took him home and he has missing rump feathers, and what looks to me like he was mauled by a dog. He has a green ooze coming out of a deep wound and maggots all over. She washed off the maggots and cleaned him up. She is pretty sure she cleaned the wou.d well. The feed store sold her a product called Nu Stop???
Does she need an antibiotic? I can't see this getting better without one.
I will try to post picture.

6a8799c5.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to sound gross but I would have left the maggots. They eat infection and dead flesh. Not sure if I really have anything more to add. You don't want to give antibiotics just willy nilly like. I would try to find some sort of antibiotic though just make sure it is the proper one and not for something that is not the issue. I wish you all the best. Poor little bird.
hugs.gif

ArizonaNessa im sorry but the maggot thing true for HUMANS only because they are placed by docters not by momma flys. The maggots are lab used staralized and from SPECIAL Flys Warning:please NEVER EVER leave maggots in a wound I once thought they may help but from reading so many ohter posts the maggots WILL resort to eating LIVE FLESH and will eat him alive.

Last edited:
I had a hen get attacked by a raccoon and a huge chunk taken out of her leg. She had maggots all around her as well. I knew she was going to die. Please keep the maggots off. If it helps, get some vanilla christmas tree car air freshners and put it around where the turkey lives. It will keep flies away. I washed her wound, cut all the dead flesh away, and put some Neosporin on it. I also got a product from Tractor supply called Wonder Dust. That seemed to help her a lot. My friend has horses. He gave me some bright red stuff that he uses to keep flies from getting in horse wounds. Im not sure what it was called. I put that on her wound and gave her some antibiotic in her water. Anyways, in a week or so, the wound was scabbed over. The scab has fallen off and she is walking great now. Its truly a miracle. I wish the best of luck to you and your turkey. Its always hard to see your dear animals suffer like this. I hope it gets well soon.
fl.gif
hugs.gif

I've read that there are maggots that will eat good uninfected flesh too. She just doesn't know what antibiotics to get for him and the feed store isn't helpful in this situation.

Green means bacterial infection. Personally I would use the antibiotics. Your feed store should have one you can put in the drinking water. When my partridge rock got pecked really bad by the other girls I used tetracycline and followed the dosage on the package. She was opened up pretty bad. You did a good job cleaning it up. A topical wound powder would also be a good idea. The vanilla thing really does work keeping flies away.
I hope everything goes well for you.

Quote:
It never fails I learn something new every single time I log in here. Thanks for the info. I was just ASSUMING that since they are used in medical settings that it would work the same for animals. I understand what you are saying though. Just goes to prove assumptions suck
frow.gif

If the maggots get inside the body cavity then the bird is in big trouble. Like the posts above: never leave maggots. One of my moms friends keeps her horses in our pasture so she comes by almost every day. She has a job (or her husband does) with FWC or a similar entity and has alot of info on mending sick/injured critters including large birds. When Super Fluffly Chicken
66660_img00157-20100830-1007.jpg
was bitten and maggoted she brought me a pre mixed bottle of light blue juice that is meant for avian wound care. It's sposed to disinfect and clean out as well as help remove dead tissue. It worked wonders on my SFC. She also gave me some stuff to add to water called trauma mix. That was for when my Betty got dog bit. I've only been doing this for a year and a half now but ive seen some pretty bad off birds make a full recovery and heard of some worse off birds doing just as well. One of my friends hens had a bite clear through her head as in
sickbyc.gif
he could see light coming through the hole. The bird made a heck of a recovery before dying of a chicken coop epidemic. Keep it clean. Keep the other birds off it. Keep the faith and GOOD LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom