Turkey attacking Rooster

Rammy

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
I went out to feed and let the chickens out today and saw the turkey attacking my rooster. I had to kick him to get him off. He kept trying to get the rooster until I pushed him further out into the run. Will I need to separate now? This is the first time Ive seen this. ALl the chickens and turkey are all the same age and came in the Cackle Surprise box together. The rooster was there already but he is only 6 months old. The others are 4 months old.

I went out to feed and let the chickens out today and saw the turkey attacking my rooster. I had to kick him to get him off. He kept trying to get the rooster until I pushed him further out into the run. Will I need to separate now? This is the first time Ive seen this. All the chickens and turkey are all the same age and came in the Cackle Surprise box together. The rooster was there already but he is only 6 months old. The others are 4 months old.
Raising a lone turkey with chickens will eventually cause problems. This may simply be a matter of dominance but turkeys can be very single minded once they decide to do something, it can be very hard to change their minds. For the safety of your chickens, it is best to separate the turkey from the chickens. Turkeys are very social birds and the turkey is not going to be happy about being separated.

Back
Top Bottom