Turkey behavior- what’s “normal”

Jennifer Welch

Chirping
Jul 5, 2017
A few months back we bought a couple of turkeys with the intent of processing. Fortunately for them they have endeared themselves to us, running to greet us, only eating treats out of our hand of cup (too dignified to eat off the ground) Mr Tom perched on the garage roof to peck at my bedroom window if I sleep in, Lady Turkey refusing to be anywhere except at my heels.

Last week Lady Turkey started laying eggs, unfortunately she keeps trying to lay them in the chickens nesting boxes, often when there is another chicken. She does not fit. Last week she managed to topple over the nesting boxes and trap my Silkie, Beaker. She then perched atop in victory. She also sometimes becomes belligerent by dropping to the ground and will not budge. Sometimes blocking the door to the coop, sometimes in front of the tractor a kin to Tennamen Square. She often drops to the ground and fans out her wings sometimes tail up, sometimes down. Mr Tom’s ideas of romance consist of grabbing at her neck/head and standing on her tail.
Anyways, I’m at a loss for understanding their strange behavior. I wonder if it’s normal, is it their confusing childhood living with chickens, ducks and humans or are turkeys just an adorable type of crazy.
5E74BC25-D84A-4CC7-A08F-7355FB90AC62.jpeg
5E74BC25-D84A-4CC7-A08F-7355FB90AC62.jpeg

Normal
Are these BBW? They have lots of heart,leg and breeding issues if you try to keep as pets. Heartbreakers

The laying down is the breeding position.
It takes a jake awhile to get breeding figured out. I would recommend getting a hen saddle because breeding is brutal. Think Riverdance for 15 minutes on her back.

A Tom needs a few hens and she needs a place that he can't try to breed her while on the eggs

Normal
Are these BBW? They have lots of heart,leg and breeding issues if you try to keep as pets. Heartbreakers

The laying down is the breeding position.
It takes a jake awhile to get breeding figured out. I would recommend getting a hen saddle because breeding is brutal. Think Riverdance for 15 minutes on her back.

A Tom needs a few hens and she needs a place that he can't try to breed her while on the eggs
We Know these are intended to be meat birds, and were excited for a good meal, but these two managed to weasel their way into our hearts. Hopefully they don’t slow down.
good to know about the breeding issues, we will have to keep them separated.
are they constantly breeding like chickens or a limited time frame. I did read that they only lay about 14 eggs a year.

We Know these are intended to be meat birds, and were excited for a good meal, but these two managed to weasel their way into our hearts. Hopefully they don’t slow down.
good to know about the breeding issues, we will have to keep them separated.
are they constantly breeding like chickens or a limited time frame. I did read that they only lay about 14 eggs a year.
Usually they start laying their first spring, but I think it's common for BB to start earlier. Mine start around St Patrick's day and go broody after a month or so. They can have 3 clutches a year. They mate before each clutch.
The BBB I spared kept breaking her eggs. They can't move their feet carefully enough. By 18 months I had to put her down because she was just too big for her legs.
Restricted diet and exercise helps

Back
Top Bottom