TURKEY BEING ATTACKED BY DUCKS, blood and broken feathers! Please Help!

Jessicamtorres93

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2020
Hi,
I have a white female broad brested turkey. She is the sweetest little girl. She's about a year old and yesterday when I went outside, I notice her entire but area tail feathers were ripped out. Not sure if she was sleeping out of the closed portion of the coop and had her tail feathers sticking through the fence, but it look like something took a bite out of her. Skin isn't bitten but omg the thick tail feathers are destroyed. I washer her bottom and today I saw in the camera footage that the ducks are attacking her! She is bleeding worse and since she is molting the ducks are attaching her entire body. I am going to separate her today. I have been curing her bumble foot/swollen feet as well. Apparently those turkeys are made to eat so they grow faster then their feet can handle. :( please give me any advice you can! I have a poultry wound spray from tractor supply but I don't want to use it if its not the right product. Also, can I use Bacitracin as a ointment on turkeys?

Please help!

-Jessica

Is she better? If you need something quickly, Vetrcyn at Tractor Supply or comparable does a great job. My BBW year old hen turkey just got her feathers back after a heavy molt, compounded by loosing at least 1/4 of her body weight from being sick or roughed up by a puppy. And with molting those tail and blood feathers come out eventually (guess I’m saying that right). Mine finally doesn’t look nakey. And has all her summer feathers thank goodness. I’m not sure who was more stressed by the heavy molt - her or me.

A TX A & M DVM in FL turned me onto Creolina. It is a Hispanic disinfectant that comes in a 2 oz bottle for $11 or $12. It smells like creosote, but you dilute it 10/1 in a spray bottle. Works AMAZING on anything to heal like Vetrysyn and works wonders. That was my horse dilution, so might dilute more for a bird’s infected foot or something like that. I had a filly that ripped out 200 stitches and had to heal from the inside - out. Didn’t even leave a scar. I think we turkey people might be on our own or posting during busy days.

And your poultry wound spray is probably fine, but the Creolina dilution would really help w a foot. Also I haven’t fed my BBW as much as some people have. She’s a year old and approximately 23 lbs. I’m happy w that weight on her.

i know a lady who tells me her BBW tom is 50 ish lbs. I told her she’s over feeding him. I think they also need adequate exercise and walks once her foot is better. My bird is a lot nicer w exercise and LOTS of attention.

Back
Top Bottom