Turkey breeds/genetics

A bearded lady?! I thought I had to go to the circus to see one of those.

I was doing more reading, and it sounds like a Royal Palm or Narragansett male crossed with any other variety of female will produce sex-linked poults. Does anyone do this? There must be a lot of demand for sexed poults.
Yes they can create sex linked poults. Male turkeys with the brown gene such as Chocolate turkeys can also create sex linked poults.

It's a little trickier than that because not all of the offspring from the crosses are different enough from each other at hatch to be able to sex them right then.

Yes they can create sex linked poults. Male turkeys with the brown gene such as Chocolate turkeys can also create sex linked poults.

It's a little trickier than that because not all of the offspring from the crosses are different enough from each other at hatch to be able to sex them right then.
True. Bronze and Narragansett are tricky to differentiate at hatch.
I’m not sure what sexlinks would be needed for, though.

True. Bronze and Narragansett are tricky to differentiate.
I’m not sure what sexlinks would be needed for, though.
Many people like to buy by sex as poults without having to wait months to find out what they got.

Unlike sex links in chickens, male poults are not killed for being males.

A specific sex link that works at hatch is a Chocolate tom over Black hens. The Black poults will all be males. The Chocolate poults will all be hens.

I just hatched four poults from a Bourbon red Tom and Sweetgrass hens. Two of the poults are white and two look like chipmunks. I was wondering if anyone knows if these are sex linked.

I just hatched four poults from a Bourbon red Tom and Sweetgrass hens. Two of the poults are white and two look like chipmunks. I was wondering if anyone knows if these are sex linked.
They are not sex linked. Apparently someone is carrying hidden recessive genes or the turkeys in question are not what you think they are.

Bourbon Red tom (bb CC rr) over Sweetgrass hen (b1b1 cgcg RR) yields Red Bronze offspring (bb1 Ccg Rr) which would look similar Bronze poults.

The other possibility is that some of the eggs were fertilized by a Sweetgrass tom which could account for the white looking poults.

If your Bourbon Red tom is carrying a hidden Narragansett gene, some of the poults would be sex linked.

(bb CC Nn rr) x (b1b1 cgcg N- RR)
would yield
Golden Narragansett hens (bb1 Ccg n- Rr), Red Bronze hens (bb1 Ccg N- Rr) and Red Bronze toms (bb1 Ccg NN Rr), (bb1 Ccg Nn Rr).

They are not sex linked. Apparently someone is carrying hidden recessive genes or the turkeys in question are not what you think they are.

Bourbon Red tom (bb CC rr) over Sweetgrass hen (b1b1 cgcg RR) yields Red Bronze offspring (bb1 Ccg Rr) which would look similar Bronze poults.

The other possibility is that some of the eggs were fertilized by a Sweetgrass tom which could account for the white looking poults.

If your Bourbon Red tom is carrying a hidden Narragansett gene, some of the poults would be sex linked.

(bb CC Nn rr) x (b1b1 cgcg N- RR)
would yield
Golden Narragansett hens (bb1 Ccg n- Rr), Red Bronze hens (bb1 Ccg N- Rr) and Red Bronze toms (bb1 Ccg NN Rr), (bb1 Ccg Nn Rr).
Thank you for the response. I only have the one Tom which is the Bourbon Red and I purchased him from ideal. However, the hens were from a private breeder so I guess there is a chance that they aren’t 100% what he said they are. He told me Sweetgrass or they also are known as fall fire.

Thank you for the response. I only have the one Tom which is the Bourbon Red and I purchased him from ideal. However, the hens were from a private breeder so I guess there is a chance that they aren’t 100% what he said they are. He told me Sweetgrass or they also are known as fall fire.
Sweetgrass and Fall Fire are two different varieties.

Sweetgrass are b1b1 cgcg RR. Fal Fire are b1b1 cgcg Rr.

Neither of those combinations bred to a Bourbon Red (bb CC rr) will produce white looking poults.

Here’s pictures of the Tom and hens. Any idea what they are if not Sweetgrass or fall fire? I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• IMG_8362.jpeg
    IMG_8362.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8365.jpeg
    IMG_8365.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom