Turkey chick dragging leg need help!

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
The first of 4 eggs hatched last night at 9pm…a day early. It was stuck in the shell and I assisted briefly by popping off the top. Then I noticed the edge of the wing was stuck to the back end of the shell, so I carefully detached that. This morning I noticed the little one is dragging his/her left leg…not really standing. Is this spraddle leg? And if so, what do I do? Or just in general…how do I help this less than 9 hour old poult? I tried to get a pic, but he/she is hanging at the back of the incubator. I don’t want it to get chilled by pulling it out of the warm incubator…do I wait? UGH. Any help is appreciated. Never had this happen before. Thanks SO much!

Leg tendon get properly set by kicking out of shell. Put in heavy cup so it tries to kick out and it may set the tendon properly
Thanks for a reply. I hadn’t gotten a reply for several hours and couldn’t leave the little one like that, so I read about spraddle leg…and put a bandaide to help. I have been ‘working’ with the little one every hour or so…standing and walking…just trying to work the muscle and strengthen it. I think it is helping…seems to be, but a bit early to tell. He/she has been laying down without stretching the leg way behind now. I have also been making sure to give water also. Do you think this will be enough to correct the problem? Or should I remove the band-aide, try the cup thing and re-banadide if needed (hate to put the little one through all that).

Thanks for a reply. I hadn’t gotten a reply for several hours and couldn’t leave the little one like that, so I read about spraddle leg…and put a bandaide to help. I have been ‘working’ with the little one every hour or so…standing and walking…just trying to work the muscle and strengthen it. I think it is helping…seems to be, but a bit early to tell. He/she has been laying down without stretching the leg way behind now. I have also been making sure to give water also. Do you think this will be enough to correct the problem? Or should I remove the band-aide, try the cup thing and re-banadide if needed (hate to put the little one through all that).
You could put him in the cup with the bandaid on.
@casportpony and @R2elk have more experience with this

Some pics posted of how he lays now. Before the leg was straight back all the time. He was dragging it around in the incubator. I could try the cup thing if you think it will help further.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpeg
    IMG_0959.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0958.jpeg
    IMG_0958.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0957.jpeg
    IMG_0957.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom