Turkey chick wing clipping

SussexInSeattle

Songster
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
Washington
To any turkey people, I have turkey chicks for the first time and the smallest one keeps escaping from the pen and getting itself lost. Yesterday I went in after giving up finding it, only to come out an hour later and it was back in the pen! The trouble is that the one remaining in the pen screams it's head off until the other one comes back, also there are dogs cats and other predators in the neighborhood. CAN I CLIP A BABY TURKEY'S WING? All the videos I could find showed clipping adult turkeys. This one is under 3 weeks and constantly looking for holes in the upper enclosure!

I would like to let them run in my chicken run which is 10 x 40 and so that amount of chicken wiring it's not really possible and Ive seen videoes where people are cutting turkey wings but they are adults

I would like to let them run in my chicken run which is 10 x 40 and so that amount of chicken wiring it's not really possible and Ive seen videoes where people are cutting turkey wings but they are adults
I don't recommend clipping wings on young poults. They are so light that it does not take much to get them airborne, especially if you clip both wings. They are constantly growing new feathers so clipping would have to be done pretty frequently compared to adults that often only molt once a year.

Clipping adult wing feathers on one wing works pretty good. By the time the flight feathers grow back most of them have forgotten that they can fly unless something startles them into flying.

Back
Top Bottom