1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey colours

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Fraoch21, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    We have what i think are 4 bronze turkeys, that we got given. There was a red bourbon female aswell but sadly she died from old age. We managed to hatch 8 poults this year. But what i dont understand is that some of them are different colours from the rest? In the first 4, there is 1 the same colour as the adults, 1 the same colour as the adults but with white wings and the other 2 are noticably browner than the others. The next 4, 3 of them are the same as the adults and 1 is the browner colour. So is this normal are they still bronze turkeys?
    The reason i ask is that im hoping to sell most of them this winter at the auctions but they dont allow hybrids, so i need to know if they can still be called pure bronze turkey? thanks

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:First off, check Porter's site for information on how the colors are inherited in turkeys. Second, if you know they are not pure bronze turkeys, why are you hoping to sell them as such?

[​IMG]

3. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    thanks, sorry i think i wrote that wrong, i think my turkeys are pure but i wondered if they werent because of their poults colours [​IMG]

4. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ah, so you're saying that the poults from your bronze turkeys have different colors...I thought you meant the poults from your bronze X bourbon. Well, if that's the case, I don't know.

[​IMG]

5. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    haha oh well [​IMG]

6. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Some pictures would be very helpful. So would ages. Are they metallic brown or flat brown? Or is it more of a gray than a brown? What colors are the tail bands, and what color are the shiny feathers right in front of the tail? What about the wing patch?

It sure sounds like you have a some turkeys carrying a recessive genes. Without more information, it sounds like you may have some chocolate in your birds' histories, and so some of your poults may be chocolate. But we need more information to really figure it out.

7. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    ill need to get hold of a camera and it might be a few days before i can take decent pictures since its soaking and theres a storn on the way, unless your ok with wet turkeys pictures for now? :L i cant off the top of my head tell you what patterns of colour they have but ill nip out and check in a few minutes. The oldest ones are now roughly 4 months old and the younger ones, i have no idea when they hatched but they just beginning to bald and crow like the adults. Here they are when they were a few days old if that helps any?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    looking at porters site, they look more like the red bronze than the chocolate ones

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  8. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    well i managed to get photos between showers so they are pretty dry, sorry theres so many!
    heres the stag;
    [​IMG]

one of the mums;
    [​IMG]

one of the brown poults 4 months old;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

one of the 4 months old with whitish wings;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

another 4 month old with white wings;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there is one more 4 month old stag but i couldnt get a picture, hes basically the same as the brown one

one brown younger one;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the other younger ones are almost the same as the 4 months with white wings but have a bit less white

thanks [​IMG]

9. rfwombat

rfwombat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I'm not any kind of expert, but it looks like your hen may have some Narragansett in her. I think your first pix are of red bronze poult. And the ones with whitish wings are probably hens that are showing some of the Narragansett coloring. Your red bronze pix look like the Jakes that I got when I crossed a Red Palm hen with a Narragansett Tom.

But again, I'm just learning and may not know what I'm talking about. [​IMG]

10. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    ohh cool, so i probably would be able to sell the brown ones but not the white winged ones [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by