Turkey Cones Coming Soon- Advise Please??

jaku

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Howard City, Michigan
I've been selling my killing cones for awhile now, and have gotten great feedback. Thank you to everyone who's purchased them! I've gotten a lot of interest in cones for turkey and geese, so I'm going to start offering them ASAP. However, I've never processed a turkey, so I don't know how big to make the cones.

If anyone has turkey cones, knows what size the ones currently sold are, or what size they SHOULD be, if (like a lot of chicken cones,) the commercially sold ones often aren't big enough, please let me know. I'm looking for the size of the top and bottom openings, as well as the overall length.

I hope to have these available within a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Edit: one more thing, even if you don't have thoughts on the cone size, I want to be sure there's a demand before I put too much time into these. Please post in the thread if you'd POSSIBLY be interested in turkey cones. Thanks again.

Last edited:
The cone would have to be pretty big for a Broad Breasted tom type turkey. Just off the top of my head for a heritage tom you would something 14 to 18 inches in diameter. Smaller for the hens. Could you do something adjustable or is it a one size fits all?

Steve in NC

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the "prototype" turkey cone. I based it on sizes I found online, and the materials I had available. I just ordered a spot welder from Harbor Freight, so from this point on, all my cones will be welded instead of pop riveted together.

The turkey cone I built is 24" tall. The top opening is 9"x15." The bottom opening is about 5.5" across. I realize that this might be a little small for the largest of turkeys, but will it work overall for most of them? Again, I don't raise them, so I'm relying on those of you who do.

Thanks!

Cone4.jpg

Cone1.jpg

Cone6.jpg

Cone2.jpg

Cone3.jpg

Cone5.jpg

This is my first time doing this...but i think i need one of these, so count me in. my turkeys are only a few weeks old, but come novemeber, i will need one. i can not give you input on size i need, since i have no idea!
smile.png

According to my notes:

a large cone: 15 top, 4 bottom, and 11 inches tall, this one is all wrong
when I actually made it, an 11 inch tall cone for a turkey is not tall enough. it needed to be closer to 18 to 20 inches, with short side they can kick out of the cone.

as compared to a
medium cone: 9 inches top, 3 inches bottom, 11 inches tall.
Which seems to be good for heritage Broilers, but to small for Cornish Cross

But, it's old notes, When it gets day light I will go out and get the pattern for a large cone which is the redesinged one large turkeys.

some other cone sizes:
Stromsberg:
Small cone: 7" wide at top, 10" long.
Medium cone: 9" wide at top, 12" long.
Large cone: 10" wide at top, 18" long.

featherman:
med 4 inches bottom x 8 inches top x 16 inches tall
lrg 5 inches bottom x 11 inches top x 23 inches tall

corner stone
broiler 10" x 13"
turkey 12" x 20"

Brower
large turkey 12" x 20 "
turkey 10.75" x 14 "

I assume the first demention it the top opening, These also have one flat side.

Tom

Quote:
Thanks for the info- I wonder if I should get rid of the one flat side, which would probably give it a nice big round diameter, since that 9" short side might make it tough to work with. Any more thoughts on whether it would work as designed?

I'm just raising my first heritage type turkeys now so I can't help with size or design, but I'm definitely interested in a cone.

Since I also "need" one for large-ish Cornish, maybe I can wait and order both at the same time.

Thanks for putting so much time and thought into your products!

Back
Top Bottom