Turkey coop finally done!

beccaWA

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Eastern WA
Here is the lean-to on the back of my garage, 10x20 feet. I turned it into a coop for my two Bourbon Reds that are 3 or 4 months now.

The front opening with the coop door was just an opening with nothing, no doors. My son and I built the coop door and cobbled together the wire fencing for the opening. I put wire in the eaves as they were open (we have raccoons, coyotes). I also put in a roost, but it's a bit high. Della looks longingly up at it, but I am going to ASAP put in another, lower level roost as a step up.

The large work table will eventually have solid sides on the bottom half and wire on the top for a nest box for the female in spring.

Things to be done: Build the lower roost; dig up some of the dirt floor for dusting area; drill hole in the back of the garage so I have power for a fan. Also, would like to take out some of the siding and cover with wire to get a cross-breeze in there.

All the materials for this coop were laying around my place or gotten free off Craigslist. I did not spend one slim dime. (Middle name: MacGyver).

Thanks for letting me share!

Here is the lean-to on the back of my garage, 10x20 feet. I turned it into a coop for my two Bourbon Reds that are 3 or 4 months now.

The front opening with the coop door was just an opening with nothing, no doors. My son and I built the coop door and cobbled together the wire fencing for the opening. I put wire in the eaves as they were open (we have raccoons, coyotes). I also put in a roost, but it's a bit high. Della looks longingly up at it, but I am going to ASAP put in another, lower level roost as a step up.

The large work table will eventually have solid sides on the bottom half and wire on the top for a nest box for the female in spring.

Things to be done: Build the lower roost; dig up some of the dirt floor for dusting area; drill hole in the back of the garage so I have power for a fan. Also, would like to take out some of the siding and cover with wire to get a cross-breeze in there.

All the materials for this coop were laying around my place or gotten free off Craigslist. I did not spend one slim dime. (Middle name: MacGyver).

Thanks for letting me share!

I recommend that you leave the top as is or cover it with something that cleans easily. I guarantee that at some point in time other birds will be on top of it and leaving it solid will prevent droppings from falling into the "nest area". Of course there is no guarantee that the hen will choose to use it as a nest area and no guarantee that she won't use it. If you close off the sides, make the entrance only large enough for the hen to get in and small enough that the tom can't get in. For the sides I recommend putting slats on it similar to how a pallet is made allowing some ventilation and some privacy but still allowing the hen to see out if she wants to.

Good luck.

Oh, I'm leaving the top as is. Just wanted a little "privacy skirt" around the bottom maybe a foot high, then mesh above that on three sides. Good idea on the door. I was thinking of making a little separate area with the nest box and a few square feet floor space when (if) she goes broody in the spring.

Last edited:
I've never kept peafowl, so no idea! I do know that turkeys need space, and I think 10x20 is good for a trio. (Planning on getting another juvenile hen).

In the spring I'm going to vertically extend an eighth acre fence I have, get it seeded in orchard grass, alfalfa, and red clover, and install tall poles for flight netting over top. They will be pastured birds. I'm not letting them free range now as I have chickens and ducks also, and worry about blackhead. I am however going to give heritage pastured turkeys a try and see how I do.

Awesome digs! Good luck with your pastured turkey project, - sounds like with your research, thoughtfulness and hard work you're gonna do great!

Back
Top Bottom