Turkey egg hatching on day 25! Please Help!

101atworld

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Marysville Washington
I have made other posts about my turkey eggs and chicken eggs having small air cells. I was told by a few to just lockdown on day 26 instead of 25. Today is early day 25 and one of the turkey eggs have pipped, but I believe it pipped the wrong end. I found out because I went to candle it and a piece of shell fell off. I immediately put it back in the incubator. A few of the other turkey eggs have air cells that look big enough, but most of the other eggs still have small air cells. What should I do? I put a little coconut oil on the area of the one that pipped but the membrane is still pretty dry. He is still alive. Do I increase humidity or wait until later today or tomorrow?

Attachments

• B8FA5624-AC51-4A2C-97A7-B9EB69863C74.jpeg
    B8FA5624-AC51-4A2C-97A7-B9EB69863C74.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Treat the eggs as being in lockdown now.
Be patient (even though it's hard!)

Sometimes eggs do hatch early, and sometimes they seem to start early and then hatch on time.

It can mean the incubator was a little too warm (don't try to fix it now--just check carefully before setting another clutch.)

Or it could be that breed or strain tends to hatch early. Some do.

Treat the eggs as being in lockdown now.
Be patient (even though it's hard!)

Sometimes eggs do hatch early, and sometimes they seem to start early and then hatch on time.

It can mean the incubator was a little too warm (don't try to fix it now--just check carefully before setting another clutch.)

Or it could be that breed or strain tends to hatch early. Some do.
Should I raise humidity even though some of the other eggs have small air cells?

Once several of them pip or hatch, the humidity will probably go up on its own. But I don't know what to advise for right now; hopefully someone else who knows more will chime in soon.

I decided to wait and I increased the humidity last night. The little guy that pipped has a really dry membrane. I haven’t helped because the others haven’t pipped so I figure he has some developing to do. He’s still kinda trying to get out this morning. It’s been 24 hours, should I help him?

The one pictured above is a malpostion, I would give it at least another 24 hours before helping. @Pyxis, what do you think?
Earlier this morning I opened the shell above the air cell. He still had plenty of veins, so I put coconut oil on the membrane and placed the egg in a cup. The membrane seemed a bit dry and looks a lot better after the coconut oil. He seems to be doing a lot better. Sorry I didn’t see your message

Back
Top Bottom