Turkey eggs are starting to stink

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by penny1780, May 12, 2009.

1. penny1780

penny1780 New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    dover, ar
    My turkey hen has been setting faithfully on her eggs for about 30 days. The eggs are starting to stink but she refuses to get off of them. Are they rotten?? I don't want to take them from her, but I've never had turkey eggs before and I am not sure if they should smell like this. Do they start to stink, right before they hatch?? She has about 6 eggs left.

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

prolly gone bad. we had a hen turkey, Scuttle, that was so mean we had to take a stick with us anytime we were near her....she grew a beard after about 6 years...didnt surprise us

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Turkey eggs only take 28 days to hatch, so if she's still sitting of them and there's no poults, they are rotten. Do you have a gobbler so that the eggs are even fertile? You are going to have to go get them out from under her.

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Be extra careful getting the eggs out from under her, if one pops on you the smell doesn't wash off for a couple days. [​IMG] I always figured us poultry people could make a killing at Halloween if we market rotten eggs right.

Steve in NC

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    If you are smelling them under her then she has probably already had some pop. I just had to remove a very sassy hen from the pen nesting box and all this morning.

I would advise you to get her off the eggs ASAP. The longer you wait the nastier the cleanup will be. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by