Turkey Eggs Rescue

badelgold

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
Thank you for this fantastic resource of information. It has only been one week. Turkey mother was killed, 11 eggs to try to incubate. I have them in my laundry sink with a work light set at the right height to provide 100f temp on the top of the egg. Using my meat thermometer resting on top. I am not sure how far along they were, but with candling, and your charts, it looks like 15 to 20 days. I have charted the 11. 6 look certainly viable. 4 are questionable. 1 is not viable. My concern is when to stop turning them if I don't know exactly how far along they are. Is it safe to do the water flotation test at this point to determine? Thank you again.. Lisa

You are in for quite an adventure! If you have kept them going for a week in a laundry tub, you are doing something right. I hope that it's not keeping you from doing laundry!

Unless you get a bad smell from the tub, leave all the eggs in. Turn until day 25, or when there is very little clear space around the chick in the shell, or when the air cell starts shifting from the big end to one side of the egg. The air cell should be about a quarter of the volume of the egg. If it's too small, the poult will be too big and have trouble hatching; if it's too large, the poult will have a hard time getting through the membrane as it may be too dry.

You will need to add humidity before hatching. Without getting the eggs wet or increasing the temperature, place a ring of warm, wet sponges or towels in bread pans or plastic trays around the eggs. Ideally you would be able to cover the tub to keep the humidity in, but since you have no thermostat this would just heat the eggs too much.

Don't do a float test. It won't tell you a thing.

I do hope I can report good news.. Then I will have more questions! LOL. Thank you for all the good help.

Back
Top Bottom