Turkey eggs ... well that was unique or was it?

th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
wow, what luck!!

Quote:
We just got another huge egg yesterday from her. I can't wait to crack it open to see how many yolks we get from it. I'm glad to know she's got company in the multiple yolk category!!

Quote:
X2
thumbsup.gif

Yep, she's a lifer. We love this girl. Now we just have to find her a boyfriend ... sigh ... which isn't turning out to be as easy as we thought. I think we're just going to order 15 of them and hope we get a male.

She looks to me like a BBW. and b/c of that your super layer, really is a 'freak' of nature some would think. It doesn't suprise me that your getting all kinds of double and triple yolks. The BBW is the Cornish cross of the turkey world, and the CX birds are known commonly to lay more double and triple yolked eggs, than single yolkers.

Really the only difference b/w the BBW and CX, is one's a chicken and one's a turkey... both have been bred for many, many years for one single goal... to produce MEAT... not eggs...

Read my BYC page for more info on CX chickens.

This was todays range in sizes. I think Eva gave me another double yoker!

83845_1127111807a95293251.jpg

Don't they just have the prettiest eggs ever! Just to give you an idea how big her egg is the white is a normal egg, Rosie layes a double yoker everday, it's the brown, and Eva's was bigger than my fist. I have very big hands too! My husband is only getting a one egg omelet tomorrow. She was quite proud of it to, but got pretty upset that my son took it out of the nest box. Hope she's not going broody just yet. Alex picks out certain eggs every day that are not for sale. Rosies is one of them and any odd or unusual get brought up to the house. I think those two girls need some extra treats. I know the pic is terrible, but all I have right now is my phone.

Quote:
My girl is a white holland not a bbw ... but it's an interesting thought about why one would lay freakish eggs. I have raised cornish x chickens so I know all about them, thanks! Other than the one freakishly large egg and one larger than "normal" her eggs have all been basically chicken sized. I think the freakish triple yolker, which I had never seen even in a chicken egg, was a result of her being new to the egg laying business.

On the other hand, speaking of weird eggs from birds not meant to be egg layers ... with my beautiful barred rocks, which are meant to be egg layers, I have one who lays me a double yolk egg every day that she lays. She has never laid a single yolk egg.

Quote:
Oddly enough all my BBW have always been awesome layers. Every year once they start they lay an egg a day. Some lay double yokers, but most only lay a single. Before Thanksgiving I was getting 7 eggs a day. Now I only have Eva and Gracie left, but I can still sell a dozen of their eggs a week and pay for their feed.

Back
Top Bottom