Turkey feed for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cluckcluck42, Jan 5, 2011.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Just curious, I am almost out of chick starter and we have a bag of duck food (18%) and turkey food. Neither are medicated. Would it be okay to feed either of these to the chicks?? I'll probably go get some more chick feed tonight, just curious.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm sure either would be fine for a day or two.

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Thanks [​IMG]

Is there any reason not to use it for chicks 24/7? Or is chick starter specially formulated for chicks? Just wondering if there is a difference.

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I actually start my chicks on the Non-Medicated turkey grower which is 22% crumbles. When they're older (about 8 weeks) they go to the turkey pellets which is 20% for the rest of their lives. I feed oyster shell on the side for their calcium needs. I have heavier birds (and some lighter ones) and I don't feel the low protein (16%) in the layer is sufficient. I also think the higher protein is better for the chicks and hens. I feel my chicks and hens look great due to the protein and are healthier.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Alot of people raise their chicks on Gamebird Crumbles. [​IMG]

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Some turkey and gamebird feeds are really high in protein, as much as 30%. You can feed it to chicks for a while, but after about 2 months the protein should not be over 20% due to the rapid growth causing bone and joint problems. Be carefull about those high protein feeds. Personally, I limit my feed protein to 14-16%. I`m much more interrested in good solid bone health than rapid growth. Oriental birds, such as mine, were developed on a low protien diet, such as rice. If they grow to fast, they experience the same malfunctions as broilers. Your breeds may not have those tendancies, but why chance it..........Pop

7. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    Theay should be fine, the onley difference is higher protein. [​IMG]

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I don't even mess with Chick Starter, I use Turkey & Gamebird Starter, Grower, & Layer Crumbles for all of my birds with a little scratch for variety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by