Turkey Feed Question

rdl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 24, 2009
I am raising a few two-week old broad breasted white turkeys. I bought Purina Game Bird Starter, thinking I was doing the right thing. This starter has 30% protein, though. Is this the correct feed? Where I live, I can only get this game bird starter or chicken starter, nothing specifically for domesticated turkeys. I'm just worried that I'm giving them too much protein.

Any help would be appreciated.

Game bird starter is what I was told to use with my young poults. They require more protein than the chicks do.

Folks here have recommended high 20s-30% for the youngest poults, like yours. The protein gets stepped down as they get older. If you can run a search on turkeys and protein, you'll find plenty of information.

Last edited:
Yes, you are on the right track. I only feed 30% protein. I do not settle for anything less. I have been having Bourbon Rd turkeys for years and I have not had one single problem with the feed. Although nothing says that you HAVE TO feed 30% protein. Many people do feed a lower protein but it's an individual choice. You can go lower than that but you mentioned that you can only get that kind of feed in your area. You are not giving too much protein. They need a higher protein than chickens. My poults ALWAYS turn out beautiful because I use 30% protein. I sold all but 2 of my poults this season (20 hatched) and have a waiting list for people who want more. They are amazed at how beautiful my Bourbon Reds look.

No need for you to worry. You are doing the right thing. Good Luck with your turkeys.

Below is a pic of my poults at 2 months old. Since then, they are of course older and bigger, but I just wanted you to see what 30% of protein makes a 2 month old poult look like.
big_smile.png
What cha' think?
wink.png

6612_turkeyssell.jpg

6612_turkeyssitting.jpg

I feed the same 28% then at 4 months I went to 24% they are big and filled out I want to have Midget White for Thanksgiving and they will be 29 weeks when I butcher them...

My heritage turkeys get 30% protein all of there life. It might not be the way they recomend it now but it is the way I learned and works for me. I do not feed my BB turkeys the same way. It is to much protein and will break there legs down. Since you feeding purina why don't you just follow what they say for turkeys.
Turkey Poults: Feed Purina Mills
00ae.png
Game Bird Startena
00ae.png
(30% protein) from 0 to 8 weeks. This is critical as turkey poults need higher protein than chicks, ducklings and goslings need to thrive. Purina Mills
00ae.png
Flock Raiser
00ae.png
SunFresh
00ae.png
Recipe should be fed 8 weeks to maturity.​

Those are beautiful bird, so 30% protein must be doing something correctly. I see that Purina FlockRaiser has 20% protein. So Purina does recommend 30% until the birds are 8 weeks old, and then a reduction to 20%. I'll take that into consideration.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

30% protien feed is to high for adult turkeys all their in my opinion. We feed our breeders a 20% protien layer feed and that is a custom mix from our local feed mill with extra calcium for the bigger birds. Feed with that high of a protien level is starter feed and doesn't have what is needed for adult layers. Not to mention the cost. Here 28% game bird starter is going about $16 per 50 pounds. Our 20% from the mill runs about $8 per 50 pounds.

Steve

I have gone back and forth tying turkey breeder (20%) and $4 cheaper and 30% starter at $18.99 a bag. I go back to the 30% starter because it works better. They lay better and my hatches are better. They recover from molting faster also. 10 years ago it is how the ALBC recomend that you feed heritage turkeys all of there life. It has only be resent that they have changed there recomendations. As soon as I try to cut cost and buy the cheap 20% protein I pay for it in less eggs. Try both ways and find out for yourself.

desert lots of sand no grass. carolinas rich red dirt lots of grass and bugs. desert higher protien feed is needed. southeast less is needed ground is richer grass is greener

Back when 30% protein was recomended they never even talked about pasture. Pasture would be impossible. Todays ALBC recomendations assume everyone is also feeding pasture. Pasture can be quite high in protein. You are also right in the fact we don't have bugs that they eat either. Maybe a fly. Not really a food source.

Even the post on egg laying, hatching and even disease, people need to know we all have different weather. I have 4% humidity. Late May frost. Snow but seldom rain. Constant high winds and high altitude. Meat birds are not recomended for my altitude. It is the harshest and most extreme weather in California.

Back
Top Bottom