Turkey Feed ?'s

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
My one year old heritage tom seems thin, when I pick him up I can easily feel his keel. He seems so busy strutting and gobbling that he doesn't eat much. I'm worried because my previous tom lost a lot of weight in the fall and winter and passed away. He is in a mixed flock with chickens and two BB white hens. I don't want the hens gaining any more, just want to help my tom eat more. or better. They free range and eat the 16% layer pellets with the chickens.
Any suggestions? What does everyone feed their full grown turkeys anyway?

My one year old heritage tom seems thin, when I pick him up I can easily feel his keel. He seems so busy strutting and gobbling that he doesn't eat much. I'm worried because my previous tom lost a lot of weight in the fall and winter and passed away. He is in a mixed flock with chickens and two BB white hens. I don't want the hens gaining any more, just want to help my tom eat more. or better. They free range and eat the 16% layer pellets with the chickens.
I believe Turkey need a gamebird feed of 30% protein. I dont own turkey, but they cant be fed only 16% protein. Thats one of the reasons why chickens and turkey arent great companions for eachother.

The layer feed can be harmful to males whether they are roosters or toms. The males can develop kidney problems from the excess calcium that they do not need.

The protein percentage is fine for adult turkeys. I feed my adult chickens, guineas and turkeys 20% protein all flock pellets with oyster shell free choice on the side.

I believe Turkey need a gamebird feed of 30% protein. I dont own turkey, but they cant be fed only 16% protein. Thats one of the reasons why chickens and turkey arent great companions for eachother.
You are confusing starter feed for poults with what adult turkeys require. There are recommendations for as low as 12% protein for adult turkeys. Admittedly that number is based on feeding broad breasted turkeys.

my turkeys are a little over 2 months i still have them in 30 % game bird can i switch them to all flock soon. thanks
The next step should be to a turkey or game bird grower usually about 24% protein for the next six weeks. After that all flock is fine as an adult feed.

The turkey starter is for the first 6 to 8 weeks so you can move to the next step now. There is nothing wrong with feeding them the starter until you run out of it before moving on to the next step.

The layer feed can be harmful to males whether they are roosters or toms. The males can develop kidney problems from the excess calcium that they do not need.

The protein percentage is fine for adult turkeys. I feed my adult chickens, guineas and turkeys 20% protein all flock pellets with oyster shell free choice on the side.
Locally I could only find 17% all flock, would that and some scratch grains help fill him out? Corn, oat, milo, sunflower?

Locally I could only find 17% all flock, would that and some scratch grains help fill him out? Corn, oat, milo, sunflower?
The 17% protein all flock is okay. All the rest of that is low protein, high fat foods that should only be considered treats. Feeding any of those will lower the available protein and greatly increase the fat availability.

Total treats should never amount to more than 10% of the total diet.

If you can't find a local source for the right kind of feed, check out Chewy.com. I found turkey starter and grower at reasonable prices with reasonable shipping costs. I did not look for all flock availability.

Back
Top Bottom