Turkey fight.. I think..

leading to me having to use them as meat now
You may know this, but...
Probably too big to roast whole, but can be butchered into parts for turkey meals all year around. Yummm!!
I get a couple of fresh turkeys every November, rest the carcass for 4-5 days, then butcher into portions and freeze.

Usually I take my meat birds at 8lbs or so. These turkeys won't even work with my meat processing station. I called the hatchery that they came from.. They said they lable the boxes when they arrive at the chick supply store, but if a new or young employee saw "Bronze Turkey" and labeled it that way, it couldve been BB Bronze Turkey, but employee didn't pay close enough attention to details. Hatchery said they do send out BB in the Spring to stores, so people have them ready for the holidays... So there it is.. To think this post was about my Turkeys having a squabble, and it turned into my squabble I will have with them.. Amazing

Usually I take my meat birds at 8lbs or so. These turkeys won't even work with my meat processing station. I called the hatchery that they came from.. They said they lable the boxes when they arrive at the chick supply store, but if a new or young employee saw "Bronze Turkey" and labeled it that way, it couldve been BB Bronze Turkey, but employee didn't pay close enough attention to details. Hatchery said they do send out BB in the Spring to stores, so people have them ready for the holidays... So there it is.. To think this post was about my Turkeys having a squabble, and it turned into my squabble I will have with them.. Amazing

So what’s your plan? Keep them even though they’ll possibly live a shorter life or process them?

There’s a farm animal sanctuary near us that has successfully rescued broad breasted turkeys and have had them for years with minimal health issues.

Well today Fred and Barney (our BB's) went off to a friend's coop where the boys will have a few days of play before being prepared for Holiday meals.
It was a little heart breaking, saying good bye, but I understand and raise meat birds myself.. But I fell in love with these 2 boys, so preping and eatting them myself, would've left a bad taste in my mouth... Lesson learned the hard way, on trusting the store to lable birds properly.:hit:he
I am glad this thread helped me realize their future, I really was shocked at how big they got so fast, just didnt put 2 n 2 together.. To thank you everyone:love:thumbsup

Well today Fred and Barney (our BB's) went off to a friend's coop where the boys will have a few days of play before being prepared for Holiday meals.
It was a little heart breaking, saying good bye, but I understand and raise meat birds myself.. But I fell in love with these 2 boys, so preping and eatting them myself, would've left a bad taste in my mouth... Lesson learned the hard way, on trusting the store to lable birds properly.:hit:he
I am glad this thread helped me realize their future, I really was shocked at how big they got so fast, just didnt put 2 n 2 together.. To thank you everyone:love:thumbsup

Hard, but the best choice.

Back
Top Bottom