turkey food

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by solarquail, Sep 16, 2010.

1. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    is there really something going on with the food? what is it yal are buying gamebird starter? or what?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Not sure what you mean by "is there something going on with the food"?

I started my turkeys this year on 26% gamebird starter mixed with 20% medicated chicken started, because my local feed stores don't sell a medicated higher than 20%, and turkeys need higher protein. I also used apple cider vinegar in the water for the first month as an anti-cocci agent, and gave them some probiotics. It worked fine, as all 6 that hatched healthy are still healthy at 3 1/2 months old.

At 8 weeks, I switched them to Blue Seal Turkey Grower HG medicated, which has Nitarsone for prevention of blackhead disease.

I also give them all of the nice, fresh stuff they want, fruits and veggies, because I have a great big garden and about 100 fruit trees -- they're going to miss that in the winter, that's for sure -- I should be able to keep them in greens and fruit through about December, and then will have stuff when the weather warms in April. In between, its whatever table scraps I can come up with, plus I think I'm going to sprout seeds for them, as that seems like a pretty quick way to make some greens -- wheatgrass, amaranth, radishes, that sort of thing.

3. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    ive heard people talking about looseing there poults to the food. and stuff like that.

4. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Quote:Do you mean those threads where folk think that the regular feed has suddenly started to cause losses? I wonder whether some stockists keep feed for too long before selling it or some breeders by huge quantities that just sit there. If dampness gets to the dry feed I guess that could be the cause of deaths. We buy 30 kilo bags one at a time as often as we need to so that there's no chance of mould.

5. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    The FDA is still testing the food my turkeys were feed that died. I had 20 adult breeders die. Some of the problems the feed company was happening at the time my bags where made is included in this warning letter from the FDA to the feed company. http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm221127.htm Some of these problems are common among other feed company's from what I have read on line. The FDA seems to think my bags have medication from what ever type of food they made in the batch before mine. I thought it looked like dark minerals but I don't know what medication looks like. We should know soon what that was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by