Turkey Fryer

LilyD

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Bristol, VT
My Coop
My Coop
Okay so we have been doing meaties for a while, but usually we had help with the actual processing part. Now that we are better at doing it ourselves we find ourselves at a loss for equipment since the plucker and scalder we used belonged to the man who came to help us. I think I am accurate to say that while hand plucking isn't an issue not having something that keeps water at the appropriate temperature is. I have been looking around at the turkey fryers to see if there was a good one that has thermostat control so you can set it to stay at the temp you want for the whole processing time.

Does anyone use one of these?

Right now we heat our water inside and use it to pluck until it gets too cold and then we switch kettles for another hot one and dump and reheat the cold one. It works fine but it takes extra time that I would rather spend getting the job done.

I would love to hear what others use.

Thanks
Lily

You have helped me!!! I'm going to buy a scalder. I found one for $229. I just purchased an EZPlucker 188 last night and was debating over whether to spend the extra bucks for the scalder.

I'm glad I was able to help you. Where did you find your scalder? I would love to not lug buckets of water all day when processing.

I use a turkey fryer (walmart $39.00 on sale) and it came with a good thermometer and the propane burner is great for keeping water at 150f.

Hmm I will go online and check that out do you by chance have pictures of the one you purchased? I am looking for something that will be able to do chickens, turkeys and perhaps ducks

I believe it is a Bayou brand, but any 30 qt. fryer will heat water. It wull do chickens and ducks, but I dont know by experience that it would do a huge turkey.

I believe it is a Bayou brand, but any 30 qt. fryer will heat water. It wull do chickens and ducks, but I dont know by experience that it would do a huge turkey.
I am hoping to not have any HUGE turkeys lol I am going to try and do some and I am hoping for birds around 20 lbs or so if not I guess I will have to dry pluck them because none of my stock pots will do a bird that big and neither will any of the fryers I have seen so far lol.

This is the one I found for about 50 dollars online. They are out of stock online but they have them in my local store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/30-Quart-Propane-Turkey-Fryer-Set/13059419

I don't think a turkey fryer will work to scald a turkey. I had to buy a wash tub to scald geese and they aren't as big as a turkey.

Not only does the bird have to fit into the water, you need room to swish it around.

A turkey fryer would work for the burner and stand under a wash tub. The stand with my turkey fryer is extra sturdy so it would handle the weight, but the outer edge of the wash tub would need some sort of support for extra safety.

I purchased it todday from cutler supply online for $169. It's an electric scalder.... I bought a plucker from ezplucker model 188. I hope this helps. This was the cheapest electric scalder I could find.

Back
Top Bottom