Turkey fumble. Life or Death?

Keep it clean and dry. I would not bandage it. Looks like she’s doing better and healing. If you do splint the leg please remember to wrap gauzes around the leg first before any splint application with tape. Nothing’s worse than to have a healing bone and then you need to cut tape. Watch for swelling.
I hope this lucky little turkey makes a full recovery. May God bless you for your kindness. Best wishes

I have a variety pack of probiotics and electrolites I can miz into her water.

I added a couple drops of brid vitamins to her water last night.
Iv given her? Some plain yogurt and have offered an assortment of food items. The meal worms are eaten with vigor lol.
Iv had to hand feed her and at first give her water by syringe.
Is this a female?
The age is probably around 3 months old
Awesome! that a female.

Yes I sanitized her wounds before dressing them. All I had was witch hazel so I used a little bit of Dawn soap and witch hazel. When I changed her dressing I used a prescription mouth wash that had a special ingredient that someone recommended. I covered the back wound on day 1 after cleaning and disinfecting. I blended a small mixture of antibiotic ointment and vaseline to lightly spread over the wound and covered it with clean bandaging. On day two after cleaning I left it to air dry and the pics show both the raw back and the drying up back
Great!

Thank you for your replies
:thumbsup

I have no idea what to do. Its nice you are trying to help. Could you splint her leg with a popsicle stick and duct tape or something and put her in a sling? Blue kote can help prevent infection. It is easily available at feed stores. Hope she gets better!
Thank you.
Im doing the best I can. Im not a vet so Im just winging it. Using common sense and some info and advice from others.
I am very concerned about a dead foot and infection.
The rancher said they have seen turkeys with breaks like that before on a free range that heal up somehow and they survive. But Idk. Im not sure how well the leg set or how long she was sitting on it severed that way

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about Turkey Burger.

I don't know much about Turkeys at all, so hopefully someone like @casportpony or @R2elk will chime in.
With the leg broken(?) and those wounds, I would get some antibiotics, but....I'm not quite sure which ones for a Turkey and I don't know the dosages.
Is that cartilage I see in the photo of the leg?

I'm sorry to hear about Turkey Burger.

I don't know much about Turkeys at all, so hopefully someone like @casportpony or @R2elk will chime in.
With the leg broken(?) and those wounds, I would get some antibiotics, but....I'm not quite sure which ones for a Turkey and I don't know the dosages.
Is that cartilage I see in the photo of the leg?
Im not sure what was in the break area. It was a sharp v break all the through. Foot looked like it was held on by skin and maybe tendons.
There was very little blood and I have no idea how long she was sitting there outside like that when the workers knocked on my door but they mentioned. " she has not moved all day from that spot". It was around 1 pm I think. I covered her head ao she would be calmer while I cleaned her up.
Its not my bird and the owners are not interested in funding any possible recovery due to the expense is too high for a barnyard extra..I guess it comes down to will an infection ultimately kill her. Because I dont have a way to get her any special medication.
She is a trooper though and I hope she heals and makes a decent recovery

Im not sure what was in the break area. It was a sharp v break all the through. Foot looked like it was held on by skin and maybe tendons.
There was very little blood and I have no idea how long she was sitting there outside like that when the workers knocked on my door but they mentioned. " she has not moved all day from that spot". It was around 1 pm I think. I covered her head ao she would be calmer while I cleaned her up.
Its not my bird and the owners are not interested in funding any possible recovery due to the expense is too high for a barnyard extra..I guess it comes down to will an infection ultimately kill her. Because I dont have a way to get her any special medication.
She is a trooper though and I hope she heals and makes a decent recovery
I understand the ranchers unwillingness to spend money fixing this bird, farm finances can be extremely brutal. Been there. But, as they pretty much left the bird for dead, I really hope they accept and agree with the idea that this bird should be yours now. If you can obtain a few more of their throwaway turkeys, you could build yourself a nice little flock of your own!

Just be a shame to spend so much time and emotion getting this bird nursed back to health and then have her taken from you by the original owners

I understand the ranchers unwillingness to spend money fixing this bird, farm finances can be extremely brutal. Been there. But, as they pretty much left the bird for dead, I really hope they accept and agree with the idea that this bird should be yours now. If you can obtain a few more of their throwaway turkeys, you could build yourself a nice little flock of your own!

Just be a shame to spend so much time and emotion getting this bird nursed back to health and then have her taken from you by the original owners
x2, you own it now... they obviously don't care about it, so I wouldn't give it back.

I fully understand the ranchers position. She takes great care of her animals.

I agree. Unfortunately, the rancher is also my landlors and techically the lease states thay can have horses but no birds. I saved a chick this summer that was rejected from one of their hens, left for dead in the dirt, being a weak lil runt the broody hen had no intetest in it. Not expextes to live the rancher let it slide.
She is now a strong, beautiful, healthy 71 day old pullet.
Id love my own flock! :) But until I can buy my own piece of land (hopefully in the upcoming year), I do not want to push.
Just hoping that when healed this turkey will decide to spend most of her time on my porch lol and hopefully not end up being attacked again by the other turkeys.
She was very ferral, but now she is happy to eat meal worms from my hands. She enjoys being pet under her chin and across her neck

Back
Top Bottom