Turkey Gasping For Air?

Iamaqte

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Riegelsville, Pa
For the past 3 days my turkey has been gasping for air for a couple of minutes and then goes back to normal.. He appears to turn purple when doing this.. does anyone know what is wrong with him?

After a few minutes pass.. he is back to normal.

I don't know what is wrong or what I can do to help him.

I believe he has lice (which I am taking care of this week), but that wouldnt cause him to do that would it?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

Can you check dwon his throat for....ohhh, dang, I cant remember the name of it, but its a worm. Attaches to the inside of the throat...and will cause suffocation eventually if not taken care of. Its red. Dang it, I cant remember the name. Also, just look in there for anything that might be stuck. Maybe someone will chime in and tell ya the name of that blasted worm.

How am i suppose to look down his throat? He is not going to sit there and go Ahhhh.. LOL..

Anyone know how to get rid of it, if it a worm?

This will probably take 2 people. Wrap him tightly in a towel.....while one holds the tom....the other opens the beak and with a flashlight, look down his throat. I just thought of that nasty little worm..... Its is a GAPE WORM. Hope thats not what it is....mayeb just a piece of string or grass stuck. Good luck..let us know

Gapeworms
The gapeworm (Syngamus trachea) is a round red worm that attach to the trachea (windpipe) of birds and causes the disease referred to as "gapes". The term describes the open-mouth breathing characteristic of gapeworm-infected birds. Heavily infected birds usually emit a grunting sound because of the difficulty in breathing and many die from suffocation. The worms can easily block the trachea, so they are particularly harmful to young birds.
The gapeworm is sometimes designated as the "red-worm"; or "forked-worm" because of its red color and because the male and female are joined in permanent copulation. They appear like the letter Y. The female is the larger of the two and is one-fourth to one inch in length. The male gapeworm may attain a length of one-fourth inch. Both sexes attach to the lining of the trachea with their mouthparts. Sufficient numbers may accumulate in the trachea to hinder air passage.

The life cycle of the gapeworm is similar to that of the cecal worm; the parasite can be transmitted when birds eat embryonated worm eggs or earthworms containing the gapeworm larvae. The female worm lays eggs in the trachea, the eggs are coughed up, swallowed, and pass out in the droppings. Within eight to fourteen days the eggs embryonate and are infective when eaten by birds or earthworms. The earthworm, snails and slugs serve as primary intermediate hosts for the gapeworm. Gapeworms in infected earthworms remain viable for four and a half years while those in snails and slugs remain infective for one year. After being consumed by the bird, gapeworm larvae hatch in the intestine and migrate from the intestine to the trachea and lungs.

Gapeworms infect chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl, pheasants, chukar partridge, and probably other birds. Young birds reared on soil of infected range pens are at high risk (pen-raised game birds). Some control or reduction in infection density (worms/bird) is achieved by alternating the use of range pens every other year and/or using a pen for only one brood each year. Tilling the soil in the pens at the end of the growing season helps to reduce the residual infection. Treating the soil to eliminate earthworms, snails and slugs is possible but the cost is usually prohibitive.

Gapeworms are best prevented by administering a wormer at fifteen to thirty day intervals or including a drug at low levels continuously beginning fifteen days after birds are placed in the infected pens. One drug that is effective for eliminating gapeworms is fenbendazole, however, its use is not presently approved for use in birds by the Food and Drug Administration.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I am pretty sure this what is wrong with him...
From what that says... Using wormer will help? I am not sure what to get to get rid of this darn worm. Or even where to get something for that.

Ya know.. I get this sweet turkey from a couple having problems and need to find a home for all their babies.. Now this turkey has worms and lice.... It just makes me wonder what the heck they were doing with this bird and if their other birds were "sick" as well.. I guess i need to worm and delice all my birds since they are hanging out with my turkey. Grrrrrr!

Has anyone else had these problems? Worm and Lice? I really need to know something specific to get - so i can go to the store and just pick up exactly what i need. When I went to Tractor Supply and tried talking to them about what i needed the guy looked at me like I was speaking a language from another planet.

I am loosing my mind!! All the information is very helpful.. But what should i get and where can i get it? Any help.. Please!!

***Thanks Justusnak!! Your help is greatly appriciated!!!***

My friend has a BB white turkey hen who does this all the time. Does he kind of freeze up when he does it? She's been doing it for years (three years I think now) and it doesn't seem to hurt the hen. Odd behavior for sure, but the turkey goes back to normal in a minute or two.

My hubby is taking him to the vet tonight. I want to make sure it is what i think it is.. I also think some of my ducks have it too.. so if the vet confirms it then we can go from there.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HELP!!!

What was the vet's answer?
What did you do?
How did you succeed?

I have lost one turkey and now my 2nd is acting worse and worse with the breathing and energy.

My birds thank you!

Back
Top Bottom