Turkey gives alert on hawks all the time

amartinlb

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Jersey Shore
I have 30 chicken hens,3 turkeys(males), and 3 ducks(female) living all together. The turkeys roost right among the chickens and the ducks usually sleep on the bottom of the shed in the wood shavings. They have all been raised together since they were babies and I have not had any problem between them. Now that the turkeys are 10 times the size of the chickens they seem to be protective of them. I have deer netting over the run as I lost a chicken, a duck, and a young turkey to hawks. Now when ever a hawk is near the turkeys sound the alarm and wait until all the chickens run inside. The hawk sat on the fence looking at them through the netting and the turkeys watched them and sounded off trying to scare them away. Going back and forth watching them. The turkey also chases my little dog - doesn't hurt him - but definitely keeps an eye on him. My little shih tzu doesn't hurt the chickens but sniffs their butts and wants to play! I am grateful for the loud alarm as I run out and can chase whatever away. If it wasn't for the netting I'd be minus a couple more!

I have a bourbon red tom that drops his head and ruffles his feathers anytime theres a bird of prey. (ok you got me sometimes its just a dragonfly but still.) He is still young yet hopefully he will get vocal soon.

I had a hen Bourbon Red turkey that would go into a full strut and take off after ravens to run them off. Normally, they'd just fly off a little ways and land again. That's the only time I've seen a hen in full strut just like a tom.

Back
Top Bottom