Turkey Gobblers Fighting

Quote:
I already responded to your pm but I thought I would post it here just in case anyone else is following this.

I can promise that when one submits the winner WILL keep pecking to enforce the lesson. I have seen my boys necks get bent completely backwards and twisted while fighting with absolutely no injuries. The injury to the pallet happened with they locked beaks. Top tom hand bottom toms top beak in his mouth and neither would let go for about 5 minutes as they wrestled their way across the yard, pushing and pulling. Once they finally finished fighting he had say 5 drops of blood from his mouth. Bottom tom was wheezing for about a week after that, still has to breath through his mouth when he struts but no other time. I think in time all symptoms heal up, this was about a month ago. All in all, bottom toms need to learn their place and that can only happen with a good butt kicking. Top tom is the only one that gets to mate and when he does it seems like he has a testosterone imbalance and wants to pummel bottom tom who is now mad because he didn't get to mate. I can't wait for autumn. hehe. boys will be boys.

Adding one more point... if you have ever butchered a turkey or have taken note of the neck in a store bought turkey you will notice that is it almost impossible to break, same goes for when they are alive. That is one strong piece of equipment God gave them.

I let them out. Right now they are doing the flying up thing. I dread the pecking and biting.

Just be strong, and ready with some treats when they calm down. Do you every pet/hold your toms? Have they every been aggressive with you?

Quote:
I dont hold them ever. They are very friendly, but if i were to pick them up they make some noise i cant describe and kinda skirmish away. But other then that i can hand feed them
tongue.png
I think im renaming Jake because he is more dominant than i thought. I think ill call him Jaws because he had a knarly grip on Toms head.

Quote:
I dont hold them ever. They are very friendly, but if i were to pick them up they make some noise i cant describe and kinda skirmish away. But other then that i can hand feed them
tongue.png
I think im renaming Jake because he is more dominant than i thought. I think ill call him Jaws because he had a knarly grip on Toms head.

I wanted to check on the holding/petting because with my experience toms interpret that as you (top tom) ruling over the one you touch and it give the other tom the idea he can rule him too. Can you tell I spend WAY too much time observing my animals? Since there aren't enough in depth reference materials on turkeys I have dedicated my time to learning all I can through my own experience. Trial and error, thank goodness no so many errors.

That has to be my least favorite part. When one grabs on and won't let go. I have to use all my strength to not go in and try and save the loser.

Quote:
tongue.png

I wanted to check on the holding/petting because with my experience toms interpret that as you (top tom) ruling over the one you touch and it give the other tom the idea he can rule him too. Can you tell I spend WAY too much time observing my animals? Since there aren't enough in depth reference materials on turkeys I have dedicated my time to learning all I can through my own experience. Trial and error, thank goodness no so many errors.

That has to be my least favorite part. When one grabs on and won't let go. I have to use all my strength to not go in and try and save the loser.

Can i let them in the barn to roost without closing a gate between the two? The old one doesnt roost so thats my only concern.

Once they have this battle settled they will be good for a while, say a week, if the looser learns his place, you will have very few problems after this, just 30 second spurring rematches once in a while. They should be good buddies other than that, letting them sleep together isn't a problem.

Okay, after severl spurs and biting sessions Tom cowered and the other went on the attack but i had to stop it. He was almost stuck in this one spot, but i think he is slowly learning he isnt the dominant turkey anymore. Tomorrow after school im letting them out. They seem to pick up the pace when im near...

My flock had the nastiest fighting in years recently. I even made a video of it on Youtube.

One male was the loser and even the females joined in. His head was bloody and he was just a mess. I removed him for a couple weeks into a solitary pen until his scab-hat healed and fell off. Looked like a really cheap black toupe. But what stopped the fighting is to remove the female. When she's not around, they tend to calm down just a bit. I'm just saying from my experience. Women make men do stupid things. Actually to be 100% truthfull, we men do stupid things all on our own. Women just give us a good reason to do those stupid things.
cool.png

And sometimes women are the ones standing there telling the males that what they are doing or have done is stupid...
wink.png
My girls don't join in, they just circle around making lots of noise and probably egging the boys on. I can just hear them... 'Get him, get him! Ooooh, that had to hurt...'

Back
Top Bottom