Turkey got out

Bubbles_erin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 21, 2011
My turkey got out today and into the neighbors yard. Their three dogs killed the tom and he happened to just get home in time to find me looking for the tom. He let me know that it was in his yard and was killed. I took it right away, still warm, and went to drain the blood and pluck the feathers. The rear end is rather chewed up and there are other puncture spots throughout, but is in decent shape still. my question is can one still eat it?? He was an organic pastured bird, so I would rather not waste the meat. The dogs are healthy and taken care of. so that shouldnt be a worry either.

LMAO. Too funny. so I am not the only one that isnt all that concerned about eating it...haha i figured more peeps would be all "ewwww thats gross" haha. Anyways. I figured I would cut away any dog punctures and then throw the bird in the crock pot and shred the meat once cooked. The only other concern is this. There are certain ways you have to kill an animal right? so that the bladder doesnt explode, is there any concern about that with turkeys or this situation? i am newer to having livestock, but knew enough from my husband and his family in mexico to get the warm body drained right away and started with processing.

Do the dogs have rabies? then I wouldn't eat it
smile.png

I would eat it, pending the rabies answer

My neighbors used to gather up their dead chickens after a coyote attack. I doubt they were still warm when they found them out in the field, but she made chicken soup with them anyways. Never killed her.....
sickbyc.gif
I'm sure those coyotes weren't vaccinated.

Quote:
Don't worry, turkeys don't have bladders like mammals do. Actually, I used to subscribe to a magazine called Small Farmers Journal, and they printed instructions from a long time ago about killing poultry. The instructions were to break the birds neck and pull it down to make a pocket for the blood to collect, then hang it in a cool place until the feathers easily come out. Like for a week or so
th.gif
I'm not usually squeamish, but this one is beyond what I would try!

Back
Top Bottom