turkey help

imafarmer

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
my turkeys are 8 days old today and one has messed up legs since 2 hours ago. im feeding 21% starter but am giving egg yolks crumbled up and apple cider vinegar in water and electrolytes/vitamins. the leg is turned in like its pigeon toed. i had problems with them a few years ago with legs in turkeys had to cull 90% of them then trying to avoid this happening again. any suggestions appreciated.

This often happens with turkeys. They grow so incredibly fast, and their legs just can't keep up. I have had success by giving mine some milk (2% or whole) a couple times a week. You don't have to give a lot. Mix up some of their mash with milk, and give them a 1/4 cup or so 2-3 times a week. The calcium and vitamin D in milk is more readily absorbed by the birds than calcium from other sources. Another thing that you might also try is to remove all feed from the birds for several hours each day. This will slow their rate of growth, and help their legs to catch up to their muscular growth. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom